Tuesday, August 2, 2011

JOHN PEASE 1632-1689

[Ancestral Link: Lura Minnie Parker (Stagge), daughter of Minnie May Elmer (Parker), daughter of Mark Alfred Elmer, son of Hannah Polina Child (Elmer), daughter of Alfred Bosworth Child, son of Mark Anthony Child, son of Olive Pease (Child), daughter of Daniel Pease, son of Robert Pease, son of John Pease.]


Historical Marker describing the settling of Enfield
2001, Historical Marker in front of the Museum on Enfield Street, Enfield Connecticut Historical Marker - .... ENFIELD Connecticut settled in 1680 .... Established as the Township of Enfield in 1683, this area was part of the Springfield Plantation granted to William Pynchon and others by the Massachusetts General Court..... Springfield was settled in 1636 but no effectual grants were made until after King Phillips war 1675-1676 ............ In 1679 John Pease and his brother Robert of Salem Massachusetts, visited the land and spent the winter alone in a hut on the hillside of the present day Enfield Street Cemetery. The next spring 1680 they removed their families along with those of their father John Pease Sr. and Elisha Kibbe to Freshwater Plantation. Within three years thirty more families from Salem and vicinity joined them


In 1688 a purchase for 25 pounds Sterling was made of the Indian Sachem Nottatuck of all lands from the Asuntuck or Freshwater Brook to the Umquatuck at the foot of the falls and extending eight miles east.


The Springfield Committee governed Enfield until 1693, when the town began to control its own affairs. ENFIELD became part of Connecticut in 1749 by secession from the Royal Government of Massachusetts Bay and union with the charter government of Connecticut. The groundwork for such a step had been laid for more than a century earlier by an error in the surveyors Woodward and Saffery, who in 1642 established a boundary between the colonies running southwestward nearly to the site of Windsor. { erected by the Town of Enfield in 1976 }

RED COAT STORY

John Pease (1632 - 1689)
John Pease was a landowner in Connecticut; he obtained a grant of land at Enfield, Massachusetts. Enfield was later given to Connecticut.
found on ancestry.com

NORWICH, MASSACHUSETTS
Norwich was settled in 1660. Most of these original proprietors of Norwich came from Saybrook, and East Saybrook (now Lyme). The 35 original proprietors of that town were:
Reverend James Fitch, the first minister
Major John Mason, afterwards Lieut. Gov. of Connecticut
Lieut. Thomas Leflingwell
Lieut. Thomas Tracy and his eldest son John Tracy
Deacon Thomas Adgate
Christopher Huntington and his brother, Deacon Simon Huntington
Ensign Thomas Waterman
William Hyde and his son Samuel Hyde, and his son-in-law John Post
Thomas Post
Lieut. William Backus and his brother Stephen Backus
Deacon Hugh Calkins (from New London, Connecticut, and his son John Calkins (from New London, Connecticut) and his son-in-law Jonathan Royce (from New London, Connecticut)
John Reynolds
Thomas Bliss
Francis Griswold
John Birchard
Robert Wade
Morgan Bowers
John Gager (from New London, Connecticut)
Thomas Howard
Dr. John Olmstead
Nehemiah Smith (from New London, Connecticut)
Richard Edgerton
John Elderkin
John Bradford (from Marshfield, Massachusetts)
Thomas Bingham
Robert Allen (from New London, Connecticut)
John Baldwin
John Pease (from New London, Connecticut)
Thomas Smith (from Marshfield, Massachusetts)
found on ancestry.com

Capt John Pease
Name Capt. John PEASE
Birth 11 February 1630/31, Great Baddow, Essex, England
Death 8 July 1689, Enfield, Connecticut Age: 59
Burial Enfield Street Cemetery
Immigration 1634, Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, Age: 3
Immigration Memo aboard the "Francis"
Removed 1682, Enfield, Connecticut Age: 51
Father Robert PEASE (1589-<1644)
Mother Marie CARRIELL (1594-)


Misc. Notes


JOHN, Salem, came in the Francis from Ipswich, County Suffolk 1634, aged 27, with child Robert, 3, and two servants in company with his brother Robert. They were probably from Great Baddow, near Chelmsford in County Essex. He perhaps had gr. of ld. 1637; was not, we may safely judge, one of the first four settlers of Martha's Vineyard, as by doubtf. Tradit. reported died about 1639. His widow Margaret wh. unit. with the ch. 1639, had come with his son John probably in a later ship died 1644, and in her will of 1 September in that year ment. brother Robert, and son Robert.


JOHN, Salem, son of the preceded by wife Mary had John, born 30 May 1654; Robert, 14 May 1656; Mary, 8 October 1658; Abraham, 5 June 1662; and Jonathan, 2 January 1668. His wife died 3 days after and he married 8 December 1669, Ann Cummings, probably daughter of Isaac the first of Ipswich, had James, 23 December 1670; Isaac, 15 July 1672; and Abigail, 15 December 1675. He was of ar. co. 1661, freeman 1668, was a captain and with many neighb. obt. gr. of ld. at Springfield a. 1681, that part wh. bec. Enfield 1683; there his wife died 29 June 1689, and he died 8 July following. and his daughter Abigail, died the next day. All the six sons outlived him, and descendants are very numerous Ano. John, and Lucy, perhaps his with are ment. by Felt, II. 578, as favarers of Gorton in 1644. To this John belongs the earlier Distinct. for a worse heresy, as the Court's order in November 1636, proves, "that he shall be whipt, and bound to his good behav. for strik, his mo. Mrs. Weston, and deriding of her, and other ill carriage." See Col. Rec. I. 155. John immigrated from Ipswitch to Salem, New England in 1634. John Pease appears to have been a favorite of his grandmother Margaret Pease, as shown by her will which was brought into court soon after action was taken in the settlement of his father's estate. It seems probable that he may have been adopted by his grandmother before his father's death. She doubtless had full authority for placing him in the care of Thomas Watson, to dispose of him as his own child, rendering it unnecessary for the court to take any action on his custody, as in the case of his older brother. John was a yoeman when he settled in that part of Salem called "Northfields". His name was mentioned frequently in the Essex county and Salem Town records as grantee and grantor of deeds, as a witness, as an overseer of wills, as a constable, and etc. He was made a freeman 29 April 1668 and took the oath before the County court 30 June 1668. He was called "Captain" John Pease. He joined the First Church at Salem on 4 July 1667. It is believed that he, with his two oldest sons John and Robert, went to what is now called Enfield in 1679, living the first winter in an excavation in the side of a hill about 40 rods from where the first meetinghouse stood On 23 July 1680 John and his two eldest sons had land granted to them. He sold his property in Salem in 1682. When they moved to Fresh Water Brook it was still a part of Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1681 Enfield was established and became a part of Connecticut. The area is about 2.5 miles east of what is now called Thompsonville, Connecticut. He sickened while making preparations for building, and died suddenly. This was 10 days after his wife died and the day before one of his daughters died. Spouses
1 Mary GOODALE
Birth 1630, Dennington, Suffolk, England
Death 5 January 1668/69, Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, Age: 38
Birth about 1630, England
Father Robert GOODALE (1594-1682)
Mother Catharine KELLAM (1606-1666)
Marriage 1653, Salem, Essex, Massachusetts
Children
John (1654-1734)
Robert (1656-1688)
Margaret (1658-)
Abraham (1662-1735)
Mary (1667-)
Jonathan (1668-1721)


2 Ann CUMMINGS
Birth before 22 February 1634/35, Mistley, Essex, England
Death 29 June 1689, Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut, Age: 55
Baptism 22 February 1634/35, Mistley, Essex, England
Immigration Topsfield, Essex, Massachusetts
Father Isaac CUMMINGS (1601-ca1677)
Mother Anne (~1605-<1677)
Marriage 8 December 1669, Topsfield, Essex, Massachusetts
Children
James (1670-1748)
Issac (1672-1731)
Abigail (1675-1689)
found on ancestry.com

John's Bio
John Pease; baptized February 11, 1632 in St. Mary's Church, Great Baddow, Essex, England; died July 8, 1689 Enfield, Connecticut; married (1) 1653 Salem, Massachusetts, Mary Goodell; born 1629 in Dennington, Suffolk County, England; died January 5, 1669 in Salem, Massachusetts. Mary was the daughter of Robert Goodell; born 1601 in Dennington, England; baptized August 16, 1601; died April 1682 in Salem, and his first wife, Catherine Kilham; born about 1604 in Denningham, Suffolk, England; died 1645 in Salem. Robert and Catherine were married 1624 in England, and on April 30, 1634, he, and his family left Ipswich, England on the ship Elizabeth, and arrived probably in Salem. They settled in Great Cove in the Northfields. John Pease came to America not long after his brother Robert. In his Grandmother Margaret's will, she gave to him most of her property, and put him in the care of Thomas Watson of Salem to "dispose of him as his own child." John is mentioned in the court records of Salem, August 27, 1644 in the settlement of his father’s estate, and later as a yeoman in the Northfields. In 1662, he was recruited as a member and became second Sergeant of the Military Company of Massachusetts, later named “The Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company”. He was made a freeman April 29, 1668, and joined the First Church of Salem, July 4, 1667. In 1681, John and some of his neighbors removed to Fresh Water Brook, a part of Springfield, Massachusetts. There, he and Mary were united with the First Congregational Church. John married (2) October 8, 1669 in Salem, Anne Cummings; baptized February 22, 1635 in Mistley, Essex, England; died June 29, 1689 Enfield, Connecticut. Anne was the daughter of Isaac Cummings; baptized April 5, 1601 in Easthorpe, England; died March, 1677 Topsfield, Massachusetts, and his wife Marie; born 1608; died 1677 in Topsfield. On May 23 1679, John Sampson of Beverly, Massachusetts, sold his property to John Pease. John in turn, sold the land to his son-in-law, Hugh Pasco, and removed from the Northfields, to that part of Springfield, Massachusetts, which became Enfield, Connecticut. He settled on the 4th lot north of Ferry Lane in 1680. The records of the town state that his land on December 16, 1681, “and his sons were made “two or three rods wider than the others.” In 1684, John was appointed one of the first three selectman of the town, and he was Captain of the Enfield Train Band. While building his house in Enfield, John Pease took sick and died suddenly.
found on ancestry.com

Origins
(II) John, son of Robert Pease, the immigrant, and the only child of whom the records give us any account, was born in England, probably about 1630, for he is mentioned as having been four years old when his father came to this country. He was John Pease, of Salem, Massachusetts, and Enfield, Connecticut, progenitor of most of the New England families of that name, as well as many of those of New York and New Jersey. He married (first) Mary Goodell, who died in 1669, soon after the birth of her fifth child. Married (second) Ann, daughter of Isaac Cummings, of Topsfield, Massachusetts, and soon afterward removed to Enfield, where he died. He had five children by his first and three by his second wife: John, Robert, Mary, Abraham, Jonathan, James, Isaac and Abigail.
Source:
Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine, Volume 3
By Henry Sweetser Burrage, Albert Roscoe Stubbs
found on ancestry.com

Occupation - Captain
Captain John Pease was the son of Robert and Marie Pease and grandson of Margaret Pease, who made him her chief heir under the trusteeship of Thomas Watson, both the grandmother and father dying in 1644. Captain Pease remarried after Mary Goodell's death to Ann Cummings on 8 October 1669. She died 29 June 1689. John obtained a grant of land at Enfield, Hampshire County, Massachusetts in 1681. The town of Enfield, Massachusetts was later given to Connecticut. Captain Pease was appointed by his brother-in-law, Isaac Goodale, to be the administrator of his estate following his death in 1679. He served in this capacity until his own death on 8 July 1689 at Enfield, Massachusetts.
Source: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:404317&id=I19503716
found on ancestry.com

Short Bio
Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut
John Pease came from Salem, Massachusetts to Enfield, Connecticut in 1680 and died there in 1689 at age 59 and left 6 sons, all of whom settled in Enfield. John, Jr. came to Enfield in 1679 and married Margaret Adams, of Ipswich, died in 1734 at age 80, he left three sons and four daughters; Robert Pease, 2nd son of John, Sr., came to Enfield in 1679 and died in 1744, aged 88, and he had 4 sons. Abraham Pease--third son of John, Sr., married Jane Mentor, he died in 1735 without children. Jonathan, 4th son of John, Sr., married Elizabeth Booth, daughter of Zacariah Booth, in 1693. He died in 1721, and left 3 sons. James Pease, 5th son of John, Sr., came to Enfield when he was 10 years old. He married Hannah Harman in 1695, and he died in 1748, left one son and 6 daughters. Isaac Pease, youngest son of John, Sr., married Mindwell Osborn in 1691, and he died in 1731 at age 59, and left 7 sons and 2 daughters.
found on ancestry.com

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that that you can earn cash by locking selected sections of your blog / site?
    All you need to do is open an account on CPALead and embed their content locking tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you making money from your exclusive file uploads?
    Did you know ShareCash will pay you an average of $0.50 per file download?

    ReplyDelete