ALSO ON MILLER-AANDERSON.BLOGSPOT.COM
[Ancestral Link: Marguerite Anderson (Miller), daughter of Hannah Anderson (Anderson), daughter of Mary Margaret Edmiston (Anderson), daughter of Martha Jane Snow (Edmiston), daughter of Sarah Sawyer Hastings (Snow), daughter of Salome Burt (Hastings), daughter of Enos Burt, son of Asahael Burt, son of Joseph Burt, son of David Burt, son of Eulalia Marche (Burt), daughter of Joanne Martyn (Marche), dauther of Robert Martyn.]
Athelhampton House, Dorset, England
Acquired through marriage by Robert Martyn in 1350, the home was probably in the Martin family until the mid 1600's.
http://www.athelhampton.co.uk/ourhistory/history1066.htm - a virtual tour of the house and gardens
History 1066 -1847
Of the dwellings mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book it records that the Bishop of Salisbury, with Odbold as tenant held the manor, then called Pidele.
The old English name of Aethelhelm does not appear until the 13th century when Athelhampton belonged to the de Loundres family and then passed to the de Pydeles in the reign of Richard II. In 1350 Richard Martyn married the de Pydele heiress.
Their descendant Sir William Martyn built the Great hall in or around 1485. He received a licence to enclose 160 acres of deer park and to fortify his manor.
Robert Martyn built the west wing in the early sixteenth century and added a gatehouse by 1550. Robert Martyn married Elizabeth Kelway. Sir Nicholas Martyn married Margaret Wadham. He was the last of the male line and was burried with his ancestors in the Athelhampton Aisle of St Mary's Church in Puddletown. Four Martyn daughters inherited equal shares.
The elder married Henry Brune, ancestor of the Prideaux-Brunes of Cornwall. The Brunes aquired to more shares, but the fourth remained with the Floyer family. A brune heiress married Sir Ralph Bankes of Corfe Castle, who sold Athelhampton to Sir Robert Long. Bankes would then go on to build Kingston Lacy.
Through the Long family Athelhampton reached the fourth Earl of Mornington, nephew of the Duke of Wellington.
Athelhampton House has quite a complicated name history. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it appears as simply Pidele, one of several estates named from the River Piddle on which it stands. From the mid-13th century, the name of an early owner Aethelhelm is added, in forms like Pidele Aleume or more fully Pidele Athelhamston, that is 'Aethelhelm's (estate on the) Piddle', from the Old English personal name Aethelhelm, ('noble-protector') and Old English tun. Finally, from the end of the 13th century, the Pidele comes to be dropped from the name, giving spellings like Athelhameston in 1303, Athellamston in 1327, and numerous other later variations like Addlemaston on Saxton's map of 1575.
Clearly the -p- of the modern spelling is quite unhistorical (it first makes its appearance in the 14th century). It is interesting, too, that the same name survives in a different form in South Admiston within the parish: Admiston is probably a more reduced and 'popular' form of the name Athelhampton itself.
The Martyn family were owners of the house for over 300 years and during that time, one of the Martyn daughters had a pet monkey. As a result of an unhappy love affair, the young girl decided she would kill herself in one of the hall's secret rooms. As she made her way up the secret staircase and into the room, she slammed the doors behind her. She was unaware that not only had she locked herself in, but her monkey too. The faithful pet soon died of starvation and since then its ghost has been seen on the secret staircase and the sound of its claws have been heard trying to scratch its way through the floor.
A 'Gray Lady' has been seen in the Tudor Room along with two mysterious ghosts who re-enact their duel in the Great Chamber. A priest in long robes and a hood has also been seen at the Hall and is thought to be the ghost of a priest who was once writing a book about the area.
found on ancestry.com