Monday, March 28, 2011

Ellen Empson (Childe) 1570-1616

St Botolph's Without-Aldgate Church - View from the North West Corner of the Minories and Aldgate - c.1810


A view of St Botolph's Without-Aldgate Church from the North West Corner of the Minories and Aldgate. ____________________________________________________________________________________________ William Pearson, Old Houses on the North West Corner of the Minories and Aldgate. c.1810. British Museum, Binyon 22, Crace XXIII.92. © Trustees of the British Museum.

St Botolph's Without-Aldgate Church - Location Map12-30-10 , Aldgate, London, Middlesex, England


St Botolph Without-Aldgate - Antique Engraved Print c.1838


St Botolph Aldersgate Antique engraved print from THE CHURCHES OF LONDON. A History and Description of the Ecclesiastical Edifices of the |Metropolis.... Illustrated by numerous plates engraved by J. LeKeux from drawings by Robert Wm. Billings.,by John Britton (1771. .1857), 1838 image 21 x 20cm images printed close to edge of page unmounted £15 Scarce


Christening Record 17 Apr 1569 -- St Botolph Without-Aldgate Church, Aldgate parish - page 28

1-02-2011, London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 [database on-line]. Provo, Utah, USA: Operations, Inc., 2010. Original data: Church of England Parish Registers, 1538-1812. London Metropolitan Archives, London. Images produced by permission of the City of London Corporation Libraries, Archives and Guildhall Art Gallery Department. The City of London gives no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for the purpose of the information provided. Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. Applications for any other use should be made to the City of London, Guildhall, PO Box 270, London, EC2P 2EJ. Infringement of the above condition may result in legal action. About London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 Parish records--primarily baptisms, marriages, and burials--are the best source of vital record information before the nineteenth century. Before Civil Registration began in 1837, key events in a person’s life were typically recorded by the Church rather than the State. Starting in the sixteenth century, parish records are some of the longest running records available. About this Collection: This data collection contains baptism and burial records from 1538-1812 and marriage records from 1538-1753 for more than 10,000 Church of England parish registers from parishes in the greater London area. It also includes Bishop’s Transcripts - copies of parish registers sent to the bishop of a diocese. Records are typically arranged in chronological order. Names in these records have not yet been indexed. However, this collection can be searched by: * Record type * Parish, borough, and county * Event date Historical Background: Some key dates for understanding the historical background of parish registers includes the following. 1538 – A mandate is issued requiring that every parish was to keep a register. Many parishes ignored this order. Only about 800 registers exist from this time period. 1598 - Clergy were required to send copies of their registers to the bishop of their diocese. These copies are known as Bishop’s Transcripts.        


St Botolph Aldgate - Parish location map


St Botolph Aldgate; Cary's New And Accurate Plan Of London And Westminster c.1795. Introduction: Straddling the eastern boundary between the City of London and Middlesex, St Botolph was a large and densely packed parish. Already substantially built up by the late seventeenth century, it experienced modest population growth in the eighteenth century in the form of an increasing density of persons per house, reflecting in turn a decline in the social status of its residents. The parish suffered considerable poverty, disease and poor housing, but there was also a significant minority of wealthier inhabitants, substantial poor relief and a high level of charitable giving. Despite the deprivation, crime does not appear to have been a significant problem, or at least the inhabitants appear to have been able to resolve their difficulties without frequent resort to the courts. Overall, despite its poverty and divided government, the parish seems to have experienced social stability. Location St Botolph Aldgate is located on the eastern edge of the City of London, straddling the border with Middlesex; part of the parish was in the City (in Portsoken Ward), and part in Middlesex (East Smithfield). A long, thin parish, it stretched from Gravel Lane (off Houndsditch) in the northeast all the way to the Thames in the south. The northern part of the parish, located in the City, was bordered by Petticoat Lane, Somerset Street and Mansell Street on the northeast side, and Houndsditch and Vine Street on the west, continuing south down the Minories and bypassing the Liberty of Trinity Minories towards Tower Hill and Rosemary Lane. The southern part, only attached to the rest of the parish across a short stretch of Rosemary Lane, was in Middlesex, and located east of the Tower of London and the parish of St Katherine by the Tower. With King Street and Ditch Side on its western border, its eastern boundary went along Darby Street, Church Yard Alley, Black Dogg Alley, and Nightingale Lane down to the Hermitage Dock. On the west, it was bordered by East Smithfield (the street), Butcher Row, and Red Cross Street.


Church of St Botolph's Without-Aldgate, Aldgate parish, City of London - c.1750

View of St Botolph, Aldgate and Sir John Casss charity school, from the south. Also with figures and an angel in the sky blowing a horn. Anon (creator),George Dance the Elder,Sir John Cass, City of London / Heritage-Images City of London, England Price: £10.00 Technical Details: * This 10x8 Print features an image chosen by Heritage-Images. Estimated image size 231x203mm. * Printed on 254x203mm Fuji Crystal Archive paper for stable image permanence and brilliant colour reproduction with smooth tones, enhanced sharpness, and excellent definition * Image Description: Church of St Botolph, Aldgate, City of London, 1750. View of St Botolph, Aldgate and Sir John Casss charity school, from the south. Also with figures and an angel in the sky blowing a horn. Anon (creator),George Dance the Elder,Sir John Cass, City of London / Heritage-Images City of London, England * For any queries regarding this item please contact Heritage-Images c/o Media Storehouse quoting Media Reference 3599861 * © City of London/Heritage-Images

St Botolph's Without-Aldgate Church


St Botolph's Without-Aldgate, St Botolph's Church, Aldgate, or just Aldgate Church, is a Church of England liberal and inclusive parish church in the City of London, standing at the junction of Houndsditch and Aldgate High Street. The current 18th century church is made of brick with stone quoins and window casings. The tower is square with an obelisk spire. The parish was united with that of Holy Trinity, Minories in 1899. History: The first written record of this church appears in 1115 when it was received by the Holy Trinity Priory (recently founded by Matilda of England) but the parochial foundations may very well be Pre-1066. The church was rebuilt in the 16th century and then again between 1741-1744 to designs by George Dance, the Elder. The interior "was redecorated by J. F. Bentley, the architect of Westminster Cathedral, was severely bombed at intervals during the London Blitz of the Second World War and then, after its restoration by Rodney Tatchell, was much damaged by an inexplicable outbreak of fire in 1965, so that further restoration had to be carried out. St Botolph's was rehallowed on November 8, 1966 by the Bishop of London, in the presence of the Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and Sir Robert Bellinger, the Lord Mayor of London, who attended in state." The church was designated a Grade I listed building on 4 January 1950. The church is a short walk away from Mitre Square, the site of the murder of Catherine Eddowes by Jack the Ripper, as well as easy access to the other four murder sites of 1888. It was often referred to as the "Church of Prostitutes" in the late Victorian period for a very strange reason, the church is situated on an island of land surrounded by roadways and it was common in Victorian times to be suspicious of women stood on street corners so the this made them easy targets for the police. To avoid this the prostitutes would parade around the island that the church and Aldgate tube station now occupy, thus avoiding "hanging around an street corners". Organ: The organ by Renatus Harris was built in the early 18th century. It has recently undergone a historical restoration by the organ builders Goetze and Gwynn. It has been restored to its 1744 specification using many of the original components. This organ has been described as the oldest church organ in the United Kingdom. Although there are older pipes and cases, this is the oldest collection of pipes in their original positions on their original wind chests. Donated by Thomas Whiting in 1676 it was built between 1702 to 1704. It was enhanced for the new church (the current building) by Harris' son-in-law, John Byfield, in 1740. The organ was considerably enlarged several times in the 19th century and again rebuilt by Mander Organs in the 1960s having survived a World War II bomb, which lodged in the roof of the church but failed to explode. The decision to restore the instrument was taken by St Botolph’s in 2002 after which a fund raising campaign was launched. The restoration, undergone under the consultancy of Ian Bell took nine months during which time the organ has been at the workshops of Goetze and Gwynn in Welbeck, Nottinghamshire. It was reinstalled in May 2006. Notable parishioners: * Daniel Defoe was married in the church in 1683 * Thomas Bray, founder of SPCK was rector from 1706 to 1730 Architectural style: Georgian architecture Town: London Country: England Started: 1115, 16th Century, and 1741 Completed: 1744 Architect: George Dance the Elder St. Botolph's Aldgate Denomination: Anglican, earlier Roman Catholic Administration: Parish: St Botolph without Aldgate Diocese: London Clergy: Bishop(s): Bishop of London Rector: The Revd Laura Burgess Curate(s): The Revd Richenda Leigh, the Revd Mark Speeks

  • St Botolph-Without Bishopsgate Interior

    Monday, March 21, 2011

    Susannah (Dake) 1701

    Susannah Deake
    No record of either birth or death have been found yet for Susannah, perhaps because no one had thought to check the records of New London, Connecticut.  Legend has it that she was Welsh and that her family entered Rhode Island with Roger Williams in 1637.  Susannah is known to have joined the Sabbatical church of Westerly.  (The present 7th Day Baptist Church) which was organized in 1708. 

    Church records show that she withdrew from that church in 1754.  Quote "At a church meeting held at the church in Westerly on the 29th day of December 1754, present Elder Thos. Clark and approximately 22 other members.  Elder Clark, Geo. Stillman, Joshua Clark and Zacheus Reynolds made report that they, agreeable to their instructions from the church had visited the following members viz: Samuel Burdick, Jr., Hubbard Burdick, son of Robert, and his wife Tacy, Samuel Maxson and his wife Ruth, Ann Lewis wife of John, Jane West, Richmond Reynolds, Joseph Reynolds, Jr., Susannah Deake and Hubbard Burdick's wife, and they all declared that they had and did withdraw themselves from this church.  Wherefore this church doth esteem them to have broken covenant with this church and gone off from us.  December 29, 1754.

    Note: These people all lived in the northwest corner of the Town and may have broke off to form their own church.  Hubbard Burdick's farm joined the Deake place.

    Page 12-13

    Descendants of George Deake
    Family History Library
    35 North West Temple
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84150
    Fam Hist 929.273

    James Kibbe 1675-1730

    James Kibbe, son of Elisha and Rachel (Cooke) Kibbe, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, December 27, 1675, and removed to Enfield, Connecticut, with his parents in 1680/2.  He was married January 20, 1703, to Hannah Kelsey, 1675-1730?, a daughter of Stephen and Hannah (Ingersoll) Kelsey of Hartford, Connecticut.  The date and place of death of James is not known.  Hannah is said to have died about 1730.
    Page 251

    Kibbe Genealogical Notes on some descendants of Edward Kibbe and his wife, Mary (Partridge) Kibbe, a revised and enlarged edition compiled and copyrighted by Doreen Potter Hanna, 10 Maple Street, Skowhegan, Maine

    Edward Kibbe 1611-1661

    Kibbe Genealogical Notes
    In the Old Burying Ground by the Congregational Church in Wakefield, Massachusetts, is an ancient stone bearing this inscription:
    "Here lyes ye Body
    of Edward Keebe
    Aged 97 years
    Died November
    1    1694"

    On the left of this grave is that of Hannah Kibbe, a daughter of Edward Kibbe, who died April 28, 1695, aged 32 years.  On his right is buried Mary Hodgman, wife of Thomas, who died November 10, 1735, aged 95.  It is believed she was the eldest daughter of Edward.  Beyond this grave is that of Mary Hay, wife of Peter.  Marriage records of Reading or Redding, Massachusetts, of which this portion of Wakefield was once a part, show this Mary Hay to have been a daughter of James Kibbe, and therefore a grand-daughter of Edward.  Thus it appears that the Edward Kibbe buried at Wakefield is the Edward Kibbe who emigrated to the Boston area sometime around 1645, and set up a sawmill on the Muddy River in what is now Brookline, Massachusetts.

    Source materials give the birth date of the emigrating ancestor as May 11, 1611, and his parents as Edward and Deborah (------) Kibbe of Exeter, England.  There is an obvious discrepancy between the birth date and age at death as marked on the gravestone.  Since we have no reason to doubt the parentage and birth record, this mistake may be attributed to the person marking the stone, or to the fact that the elderly tend to forget and add a few years to their age.

    The wife of Edward Kibbe is said to have been Mary Partradge or Partridge whom he married in England.  By September, 1645, Boston records show that Mary was affiliated with the church there.  Births, baptisms, and deaths of children born to this couple was given in Boston and Roxbury records.  No death record has been found for Mary (Partridge) Kibbe.  It is probable that Edward did not move to Reading to live near his children until after his wife had died.

    That Edward Kibbe was active in community affairs is indicated by some records of his service.  In 1662 he was appointed Clerk of Market, a position created, probably, to give the Muddy River area representation in Boston markets.  From 1666 to 1683 he served intermittently as Surveyor of Highways.  Edward and his wife are listed in 1674 as contributors to the fund for the second meeting house in Roxbury, Massachusetts.
    Page 1
    Kibbe Genealogical Notes on some descendants of Edward Kibbe and his wife, Mary (Partridge) Kibbe, a revised and enlarged edition
    compiled and copyrighted by Doreen Potter Hanna, 10 Maple Street, Skowhegan, Maine

    Edward Kibbe--New England Colonist
    Edward Kibbe is of great interest to me, first of all, because he was my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great (eight times) grandfather.  Furthermore, he was active as a minor official and thus exerted some influence in the early years of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.  The date of his birth immediately presents a conflict of data.  The Old Burying Ground of the Congregational Church in Wakefield, Massachusetts, contains an ancient stone inscribed (HANNA),
    Here lyes ye Body
    of Edward Keebe
    Aged 97 years
    Died November
    1      1694

    Thus he would have been born around 1597.  However, other sources (HOLMES, STILES, CRLA, SAVAGE, TIMES) give his birth date as May 11, 1611, in Exeter, England.  This difference is not easily reconcilable.  Errors may have occurred in several way; such as, difficulty in reading the old stone, the stone carver's error, or forgetfulness on the part of the subject, as the elderly sometimes add on extra years.  It seems preferable to adopt the May 11, 1611, birth date as valid.  From the above sources we also learn that his death is supposed to have been on April 3, 1693, when he was not quite 82.

    At the left of Edward's grave (cited above) is that of a daughter, Hannah.  On his right is buried Mary Hodgman, wife of Thomas, Edward's eldest daughter.  Beyond Mary is the grave of Mary Hay, daughter of son James, and granddaughter of Edward Kibbe.  (HANNA) These graves add credence to the belief that this is the grave of Edward Kibbe in whom we are interested.  But, there is further conflict over the date of death.  SAVAGE state that his widow, Grizzle, had administration of his estate 15 August 1661.  It seems, however, that Grissell Fletcher was the wife of Henry Kibby (possibly brother of Edward) who died 10 August 1661.  Coupled with the fact that Edward's daughter Hannah was born in 1663 (HANNA), we will assume that 1661 is incorrect for Edward's date of death.

    The parents of Edward Kibbe were Edward and Deborah (---------) Kibbe of Exeter, Devonshire, according to the various sources already cited.  While in England Edward married Mary Partridge in June 1639 in Exeter.  They emigrated to Massachusetts by 1643, when Edward was a resident of Boston, a sawyer, living at "Muddy River."  Two sources (TREE, SAVAGE) state that Edward Kibbe came from England in 1639 and one (STILES) that he came in 1640.  On November 29, 1645, Mary (Partridge) Kibbe joined the First Church of Boston (CRLA).  Both Roxbury and Boston records include births, baptisms, and deaths of the couple's children.  Roxbury is now part of greater Boston.  Mary (Paertridge) Kibbe lived until at least 1674, and probably some years later, but no death record for her had been found (HANNA).

    The records show that Edward Kibbe was active in community affairs.  In 1662 he was appointed Clerk of Market, a position which probably gave the Muddy River area representation in Boston markets.  He served intermittently as surveyor of highways between 1666-1683.  In 1674 Edward and his wife were listed as contributors to the second meeting house in Roxbury, Massachusetts.  It is suggested (HANNA) that after his wife's death, Edward removed to Reading, Massachusetts, to live near some of his children.  Reading is in Middlesex County, north of Boston and near Wakefield.
    Pages 1-2
    Edward Kibbe--New England Colonist and Ephraim Kibbey Frontiersman
    Compiled by George R. Griffiths, August 1991