Tuesday, August 2, 2011

GEORGE BACON 1592-1642

[Ancestral Link: Lura Minnie Parker (Stagge), daughter of Minnie May Elmer (Parker), daughter of Mark Alfred Elmer, son of Hannah Polina Child (Elmer), daughter of Alfred Bosworth Child, son of Mark Anthony Child, son of Increase Child, son of Mary Lyon (Child), daughter of Elizabeth Phillips (Lyon), daughter of Elizabeth Polly (Phillips), daughter of Susanna Bacon (Polly), daughter of George Bacon.]

[Ancestral Link: Lura Minnie Parker (Stagge), daughter of Minnie May Elmer (Parker), daughter of Mark Alfred Elmer, son of William Elmer, son of Sarah Peak (Elmer), daughter of Lemuel Peake, son of Mehitable Perrin (Peake), daughter of Samuel Perrin, son of Mary Polly (Perrin), daughter of Susanna Bacon (Polly), daughter of George Bacon.]

George Bacon came to America and the Plymouth colony of Hingham, Massachusetts in 1635 on the ship "Increase." He came with three children, Samuel, Susanna and John.
found on ancestry.com

Travel to Massachusetts from England
Ship Name: Increase or Encrease
The Increase left London, England April 1635 with her master, Robert Lea, arriving in Massachusetts Bay.
The following alphabetical roll is from her departure point, not necessarily who landed.
Bacon/Baron George 43, mason #1
Bacon/Baron Samuel 12, child of George #2
Bacon/Baron Susan 10, child of George #4
Bacon/Baron John 8, child of George #3
By roll number: Sworn April 17, 1635
1 Bacon/Baron George 43, mason
2 Bacon/Baron Samuel 12, child of George
3 Bacon/Baron John 8, child of George
4 Bacon/Baron Susan 10, child of George
found on ancestry.com

Historic homes and places and genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Vol
Bacon is the name of an ancient BACON seigniory in Normandy, and from this place the Norman ancestors in England took their name nearly a thousand years ago. According to the genealogy of the great Suffolk family of Bacon, one Grimbald or Grimaldus, a relative of the Norman chieftain William de Warenne, came to England at the time of the Conquest and settled near Holt in Suffolk. His great grandson took the surname Bacon or rather resumed the use of the place name as a surname. In the north of France the surname Bacon is still in use William Bacon in 1082 endowed the Abbey of Holy Trinity at Caen. The surname Bacon is found in the Battle Rolls in England in the eleventh century and in the Hundred Rolls in the thirteenth. There are occasional variations in spelling such as Bacun and Bachun and in some instances the surname Bacon may have been corrupted from Beacon. From their connection with Bayeux the Bacons were sometimes Latinized De Bajocis. Sir William Bacon, of the knights bearing banners in the reign of Philip III in France, bore arms a beech tree.

Grimaldus mentioned above had three sons: 1. Radulph; 2. Edmund, took the name of his abode for his surname; 3. Ranulph or Ralph was known as Ralph de Baconsthorp, means village his son. Roger de Baconsthorp was father of Robert Bacon who assumed the name without the particle implying location and the name has continued in various lines of descent. George, son of Ralph de Baconsthorp, was father of Roger Bacon, who released to his sister Agnes lands belonging to the family in Normandy, and from him for many generations descended the Bacons of Drinkstone and Hessett in county Suffolk. The lineage to Nathaniel Bacon of Virginia the famous Rebel of early colonial days has been traced. The Bacon family at Hessett bears these arms Argent on a fesse engrailed between three escutcheons gules three millets or. Richard Bacon (7) whose lineage is Reginald (6); Robert (5); Roger (4); George (3); Ralph (2); Grimaldus (1) was the first to bear the arms of his family: Gules on a chief argent two mullets sable.

The original seat of the family was in Suffolk, near Ipswich, perhaps Barham, but families of importance of this name have lived and been numerous in Durham, Hampshire, Norfolk, Somerset, Yorkshire, and other counties. George Bacon Esq., of the Nottingham family, living at Sutton Bomington had arms. Vert a cross engraved ermine a chief argent thereon a ducal coronet gules between three mullets sable Crest - A mount vert thereon a boar argent bristled and tusked or semee of mullets sable in the mouth a ragged staff vert. Motto: Mediocria firma

(I) George Bacon, the immigrant ancestor, was born in Suffolk England in 1592 and removed to Ireland. He came in the ship “Increase” in April, 1635 and settled at Hingham, Massachusetts where he was one of the town proprietors in September, 1635. His name on the ship roll was originally written Mason crossed out and rewritten as Bacon. Perhaps the error was mere carelessness on the part of a clerk but often the Puritans found it necessary to take assumed names or adopt similar tricks to obtain permission to emigrate. One child was baptized in Hingham and several were probably born there. Samuel, Susan, and John were recorded as with their father in the “Increase”. He died in May, 1642 and was buried May 3. The administration of his estate was not granted until March 28, 1684-85 when Captain John Smith and Captain John Jacob were appointed on petition of Peter Bacon, son of George, who had maintained his aged mother until her death, and had purchased the rights of his brothers and sisters in the estate.

1. Samuel born 1623;
2. Susan born 1625;
3. John born 1627;
4. Peter, ancestor of Hingham family;
5. James settled in Roxbury;
6. Thomas mentioned below

(II) Thomas Bacon, the sixth child of George Bacon 1. was born in Hingham Massachusetts about 1640. died at Roxbury October 25. 1701. He settled in Roxbury as early as 1665.

1. Thomas Jr.;
2. Joseph born January 1, 1666, mentioned below;
3. George born September 12, 1671 died aged two years, probably named for his grandfather.

No further mention of Susan who married John Polley.
found on ancestry.com

EARLY SETTLERS of Hingham, Massachusetts
HINGHAM is one of the oldest towns in Massachusetts. There were settlers here as early as 1633. Its first name was Bearcove or Barecove, more likely the latter, in view of the exposure of almost its entire harbor at low tide, and as appears also in the spelling of the name in the order of the General Court referred to below. So far as it had any legislative incorporation, it was incorporated, and this has been the usual statement of writers, September 2, 1635, only eleven towns having in that respect all earlier date. Perhaps, however, the term incorporation is not appropriate in this connection, the brief order which the General Court, consisting of the Governor, assistants, and deputies, adopted and entered on that day being as follows, -- a form used before, and afterwards, in the case of several other towns:-- "The name of Barecove is changed and hereafter to be called Hingham.”

"In 1635, in addition to those before-mentioned (namely: Joseph Andrews, Thomas Chubbuck, Henry Gibbs, Edmund Hobart, Sen., Edmund Hobart, Jr., Joshua Hobart, Rev. Peter Hobart, Thomas Hobart, Nicholas Jacob, Thomas Lincoln, weaver, Ralph Smith), were Jonas Austin, Nicholas Baker, Clement Bates, Richard Betscome, Benjamin Bozworth, William Buckland, James Cade, Anthony Cooper, John Cutler, John Farrow, Daniel Fop, Jarvice Gould, Wm. Hersey, Nicholas Hodsdin, Thos. Johnson, Andrew Lane, Wm. Large, Thomas Loring, George Ludkin, Jeremy Morse, William Nolton, John Otis, David Phippeny, John Palmer, John Porter, Henry Rust, John Smart, Francis Smith (or Smyth), John Strong, Henry Tuttil, William Walton, Thomas Andrews, William Arnall, George Bacon, Nathaniel Baker, Thomas Collier, George Lane, George Marsh, Abraham Martin, Nathaniel Peck, Richard Osborn, Thomas Wakely, Thomas Gill, Richard Ibrook, William Cockerum, William Cockerill, John Fearing, John Tucker.

George Bacon came to America and the Plymouth colony of Hingham, Massachusetts in 1635 on the ship "Increase." He came with three children, Samuel, Susanna and John.
found on ancestry.com


  1. from suasannah came abagail polly born june 4 1654 married john lyon may 10 1670 died same day as her husband from smallpox jan 15 1703

  2. From Susanna also came Bethiah Polley, b. 2 Feb 1658, who married Nathaniel Parker (son of Deacon Thomas Parker ca. 1609) m. 24 Sep 1677, and she died 23 Aug 1748 in Reading, Mass.