Thursday, September 29, 2011

MOSES BARBER 1670-1726

[Ancestral Link: Lura Minnie Parker (Stagge), daughter of Minnie May Elmer (Parker), daughter of Mark Alfred Elmer, son of Hannah Polina Child (Elmer), daughter of Polly Barber (Child), daughter of Ichabod Barber, son of Thomas Barber, son of Thomas Barber, son of Moses Barber.]




Barbers Pond, Rhode Island


Birth: January 5, 1652, Kingston, Washington County, Rhode Island, USA
Death: April 15, 1728, Kingston, Washington County, Rhode Island, USA


Moses Barber was born 1652 in South Kingston, Rhode Island, and died 29 March 1728 in South Kingston, Rhode Island. He married (1)Ann Babcock in 1673. She died at 23 years of age. He then married (2) Susannah West. Susanna was a daughter of Francis West and Susanna Soule, and a granddaughter of the Mayflower passenger, George Soule. She was born c.1666 in probably North Kingston, Washington County, Rhode Island, which is where they wed on 24 March 1691/92.

Notes for MOSES BARBER:
His first wife, Ann Babcock died young.

In 1691 he moved from Newport, Rhode Island to North Kingston, Rhode Island.

In 1693, he purchased three hundred and thirty acres of the Pettequanscut Purchase within the limits of the present town of South Kingston, Rhode Island. A pond near the site of his house still bears the name "Barbers Pond." He died in 1728. His first wife was the mother of: William, Sarah and Moses Barber.

Children of MOSES BARBER and Ann Babcock are:
i. WILLIAM BARBER, born 05 January 1679, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 17 May 1748, South Kingston, Rhode Island.
ii. SARAH BARBER, born 25 March 1682, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 29 June 1729, Rhode Island.
iii. MOSES BARBER, born 1683, Kingston, Rhode Island; died about 1758, Kingston, Rhode Island.

Children of MOSES BARBER and SUSANNAH WEST are:
iv. DINAH BARBER, born 15 January 1692/93, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died Charlestown, Rhode Island.
v. LYDIA BARBER, born 24 February 1693/94, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 29 March 1728, South Kingston, Rhode Island; married BENJAMIN MOWRY, 1714, South Kingston, Rhode Island; born Rhode Island.
vi. SAMUEL BARBER, born 08 November 1695, Westerly, Rhode Island; died 27 May 1760, Westerly, Rhode Island.
vii. SUSANNA BARBER, born 23 October 1697, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 1749, Rhode Island.
viii. THOMAS BARBER, born 19 October 1699, Exeter, Rhode Island; died 1762, Exeter, Rhode Island.
ix. JOSEPH BARBER, born 13 October 1701, Exeter, Rhode Island; died 14 April 1779, Exeter, Rhode Island.
x. MARTHA BARBER, born 30 November 1703, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 04 March 1773, South Kingston, Rhode Island.
xi. RUTH BARBER, born 23 June 1705, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 21 September 1755, Stonington, Connecticut; married GEORGE BENTLEY, 04 March 1723/24, South Kingston Rhode Island; born 1702, Rhode Island.
xii. BENJAMIN BARBER, born 10 March 1706/07, Hopkinton, Rhode Island; died 26 March 1792, Hopkinton, Rhode Island.
xiii. MERCY BARBER, born 13 March 1708/09, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 1792, South Kingston, Rhode Island; married SAMUEL TEFFT, 07 October 1727, South Kingston, Rhode Island; born 1703, South Kingston, Rhode Island.
xiv. EZEKIEL BARBER, born 06 March 1709/10, South Kingstown, Rhode Island; died 07 January 1786, Richmond, Rhode Island.
xv. ABIGAIL BARBER, born 06 January 1712/13, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 11 July 1714, Rhode Island.
xvi. DANIEL BARBER, born 22 April 1715, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 28 June 1805, Exeter, Rhode Island.
xvii. ANN BARBER, born 08 October 1717, South Kingston, Rhode Island; died 21 September 1755, Sterling, Connecticut.

Will of Moses Barber:



In the name of God, Amen, the 29th day of March 1728: I, Moses Barber, Sr., of S. Kingstown, R.I. in the Colony of R. I., yeoman, being aged and weak in body but of perfect mind and memory, thanks be to given until God for it - therefore calling to mind and memory the mortailty of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and testament, that is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of God that gave it to me and my body to be buried in decent Christian burial at the discretion of my executrix and executor hereafter names nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this life, I give, devise and dispose of the same in the following manner -primus after my just debts and charges and legacies are duly discharged and paid by the executrix or executor -The use of the rest of my movable estate I give and bequeath to Susannah my wife so long as she remains my widow as also the use of my homestead farm and house with all the privileges and profits thereunto belonging and further my will is that at the decease of my wife, Susannah, that then all the remaining part of my said estate shall be equally divided between the daughters of my said wife or their children.Item - I give unto my son William Barber one shilling in token of my live, he having received his portion already in land.Item - I give unto my son Moses Barber one shilling in token of my live, he having received his portion already in land.Item - I give unto my son Samuel Barber one shilling in token of my live, he having received his portion already in land.Item - I give unto my son Thomas Barber one shilling in token of my live, he having received his portion already in land.Item - I give unto my son Joseph Barber one shilling in token of my live, he having received his portion already in land.Item - I give unto my son Benjamin Barber a certain tract of parcell of land scituate lying and being in Westerly by estimation 146 acres which I bought of Francis Colgrove to be to him my said son Benjamin and to his heirs and assigns forever.Item - I give unto my son Ezekiel Barber 25 acres of land being the North West corner of my homestead bounded Westerly on the Petequemmecut line - Easterly Yaucup Pond. I also give to my son Ezekiel Barber 25 acres of land on the South East corner of my homestead farm to be the same more or less - butted and bounded as followeth... beginning at a certain rock by the pond where the brook runs out of the pond to the westward to a large oak tree and heap of stones and so to extend the same course to Samuel Barber's land and so bounded westerly on Samuel Barber's land - Southward on the land of Willcox and Eastward on the sd brook and the brook is the boundary to the before mentioned rock and both the above mentioned parcells of land which I give said son Ezekiel Barber to be to him his heirs and assigns forever, I also give to my said son Ezekiel Barber one loom and all my weaving utensils.Item - I give until my son Daniel Barber all remaining part of my homestead farm with all the housing, orchard and fencing and all others to the same - belonging to my sd son Daniel Barber and to his heirs and assigns forever.Item - I give to my youngest daughter Ann Barber one good feather bed well fixed and 1 20 in money to be paid to her when she comes of age of 18 years.Item - I give to all my daughters which are married to each of them 5 shillings in token of my love, they having received their portions already; also I give to the heirs of my daughter Lydia Mory deceased 5 shillings.Item - Lastly my will is and I do hereby order constitute and appoint my true and loving wife my executrix as also my son Benjamin Barber my executor of this my last will and testament and I do hereby utterly disallow revoke and disannul all and every other former testaments wills legacies and bequests and executions by me.In any ways before named willed and bequeathed ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament. In witness whereof I have here unto set my hand and seal the day and year above written.Witnesses: Benjamin Potter, Moses Barber,Isaac Sheldon

You can view a great piece on moses barber at link below, including his will http://www.scribd.com/doc/12991635/Moses-Barber-16521733-of-South-Kinston-Rhode-Island

Burial: Moses Barber Lot, South Kingstown, Washington County, Rhode Island, USA
Plot: moses
Find A Grave Memorial# 61290119
found on findagrave.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I love your article!

    Have you found anymore on Ann Babcock?

    Sarah (Barber) Greene, (her daughter), is my 6th GGM. I am trying to find proof that Ann is her Mom. On Wikitree.com, they have disconnected them.

    I have matched, on Ancestry & Gedmatch, with many Barbers & Babcocks.

    Thank You very much,

    Deborah Reed

    ReplyDelete