Saturday, August 4, 2012


[Ancestral Link: Lura Minnie Parker (Stagge), daughter of Minnie May Elmer (Parker), daughter of Mary Ann Jost (Elmer), daughter of John Alexander Jost.]

Birth: December 17, 1809, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Death: March 24, 1905, Ogden, Weber County, Utah, USA

Burial: Ogden City Cemetery, Ogden, Weber County, Utah, USA - Plot: B-2-3-3W

John Jost
John and Mary left for Utah in May 1855. They were married again (October 29, 1859) in Salt Lake City, perhaps in the Temple. Both were buried in Ogden City Cemetery. John was a candy maker. At one time, he was excommunicated from the church over a property dispute with another member of the church, and later reinstated. Found on

John A. Jost

Born December 17, 1811, in Nova Scotia. Came to Utah December 16, 1856, Wooley and Atwood company.

Married Mary A. Zwicker, who was born July, 1811. Came to Utah with her husband. Their children: George H.; Eliza A.; Alice E.; Kate; John D.; Samuel E.; Thomas; Minnie; Alexander; Andrew. Family home Ogden, Utah
Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, page 979

John A. Jost
John A. Jost (son of George Henry Jost born about 1775, Halifax, Canada, and Marjory Smith born about 1780, Halifax, Canada) was born July 19, 1811, Nova Scotia on May 4, 1834. He and Mary came to Utah December 16, 1856, Wooey and Atwood Company. Family home Ogden, Utah.
"Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah" by Frank Esshom

Jost, John A. (44) born Halifax, Nova Scotia, with Independent Wagons, joined Hodgett Company Ft. Laramie

Jost, Maryann Zwicker, Sr. (45) wife, born Canada

Jost, Catherine Ann, (Kate?) (15) born Canada

Jost, Samuel Edward (11) born Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, later a teamster, brought 1st telegraph wire to Utah)

Jost, Thomas William (9) born Canada

Jost, Maryann (Minnie?), Jr. (9), born Canada

Jost, Andrew James (11) born Canada (Also George H., Alice or Louisa E., John D., Andrew)

Members of the Willie Handcart Company
From Florence, Nebraska, to Salt Lake City, Utah, and Those Who Died Previously

Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868

James G. Willie Company (1856) Departure: 15 July 1856 Arrival: 9 November 1856

Company Information: 4th handcart company which had about 500 individuals, 100 handcarts, and 5 wagons in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Iowa City, Iowa.

Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868

Jost, John Alexander Birth Date: 17 December 1811 Death Date: 25 March 1905 Gender: Male Age: 44 Company: James G. Willie Company (1856) Pioneer Information: and family; joined the Hodgett Company at Ft. Laramie
Fourth Hand-Cart Company—Capt. J. G. Willie. Wagon Company, organized at Florence, with the Fourth Hand Cart Company.
FROM ENGLAND.J[ames]. S[herlock]. Cantwell and family, J[ohn]. T[homas]. Geary and family.
FROM THE UNITED STATES.A. L. [Andrew Lafayette] Siler, N. L. [Neils Lars] Christianson, Reverina [Mount] Leason and son, J. A. [John Alexander] Jost and family, C. [Christine] Anderson.
Source of Trail Excerpt: "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News [Weekly], 15 October 1856, 254.

Utah Death Certificates, 1904-1956 for John Alexander Jost

</></> <>
Name:John Alexander Jost
Titles & Terms:
Death Date:25 Mar 1905
Death Place:Ogden, Weber, Utah
Estimated Birth Year:1810
Death Age:95 years 3 months 8 days
Marital Status:
Race or Color:
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name:D.K. D.K.
Father's Titles & Terms:
Mother's Name:D. K. D. K.
Mother's Titles & Terms:
Film Number:2229074
Digital GS Number:4120974
Image Number:755
Certificate Number:114

found on

Utah Deaths and Burials, 1888-1946 for John Alex. Jost

Name:John Alex. Jost
Burial Date:25 Mar 1905
Burial Place:Ogden
Death Date:25 Mar 1905
Death Place:Ogden
Birth Date:1810
Birthplace:Nova Scotia
Marital Status:Widowed
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: 
System Origin:Utah-EASy
Source Film Number:497706
Reference Number:604
found on

Email from Ted Richardson
John Alexander Jost was born in 1811, not in 1809 as listed on his grave marker. I’ve seen numerous copies of the birth record back home in Nova Scotia. I do have some personal theories as to why his grave marker lists 1809, let me know if you are interested in hearing them. J

The Journal begins in May of 1855. John Jost was the Branch President in Halifax Nova Scotia, where John had a Confectioner’s shop. The address given for his shop is now occupied by a hotel in Halifax, but I did find an old picture in the Halifax Archives that MIGHT have been his store: Click to enlarge the picture and you will see that it looks like it’s been closed a long time before the picture was taken.

At several points in the journal there are references to John making confections to sell during their trip to help raise money. I have seen records that show that John eventually settled in Ogden, UT and opened a Confectioner’s shop there on Washington Blvd.

The journal is amazing. John essentially is one step ahead of the Sheriffs as he prepares the Saints in Halifax to go to Utah! Despite his personal financial problems, his constant efforts to get funds by any means possible at every step along the journey is impressive.

Unfortunately, he stops keeping Journal records in January 1856, almost a full year before he and his family enter the Salt Lake valley on 15 December, 1856.
So why did it take over  a year and a half to get from Nova Scotia to Utah?

As you read the journal, the Saints left Halifax by ship to Boston, then took the railroad as far as it would go, ending up in Kansas.

I have seen statements that John Jost led the saints from Nova Scotia by ship all the way around South America and then emigrated eastward from San Francisco to Utah, but that seems inaccurate. There is a detailed record of the Josts and other families from Nova Scotia taking a ship down the eastern Atlantic coast, taking boats up the Erie Canal and the Great Lakes and finally riding by train as far as it would go. John Jost's journal and many other journal entries from different sources support this.  If some Nova Scotia Saints did make the journey by sea to San Francisco, I can’t find any record of it.

As your read John Jost's diary, look at his record on June 5 1855. He mentioned Br. Wright and Br. Middlemass. The Wright and the Middlemass families were in Nova Scotia with the Josts and travelled with them. It appears that the Middlemass family joined the Seth M. Blair/Edward Stevenson Company (1855), comprised of a group of saints from Texas. Brother Middlemass had gotten into a dispute (Read Trail Excerpt ) and I believe he felt it best to get out of Atchison and head to Salt Lake as quickly as possible. 

On June 30 he notes that “George, Eliza and Alice” went to Atchison in the company and employ of Brother Blair's Company. His daughters are listed with the Blair company in 1855:

l assume that John Jost’s daughters, Alice Louisa (16) and Eliza Ann (17), were close friends of the Middlemass' oldest daughter, Hannah (18) who is also listed with the company along with the rest of her family. The “George” refereed to must be the Jost's oldest son, George Haliburton Jost. It makes sense that John would not let his girls go without some protection in the form of their older brother. Strangely, George Jost is not listed on any of the Pioneer records that I could find. I believe he must have been with the Middlemass family who left Nova Scotia after the main group, since he is not listed at the very beginning of John Jost’s journal on the roster of people leaving Halifax for Salt Lake. John Jost received a letter from George in November of 1855, indicating George made it to Salt Lake, which roughly matched up with the timeline of the Blair company’s arrival there.  I did find information that George eventually made his way to California and shows being in Sacramento in the 1860s and was alive there in the 1910 census.  I have a feeling that George, being the oldest son, may have never converted and my guess is he made the crossing to Utah and then ended up in continuing to California, perhaps prospecting for gold.

John’s concerns for his daughter’s welfare quickly becomes realized. Sadly, Eliza Jost dies of Cholera on 20 June 1855. John hears of her death on the 26th, and writes "Mrs. Jost has felt the affliction to be very heavy and laments and grieves much about the death of Eliza".

I believe this incident played a big part in  John Jost deciding to stay the winter and be better prepared to ensure the safety of the remainder of his family. There is a record of John being called as a Branch Counselor in Atchison Kansas Territory on 27 Aug 1855. The meeting occurs in the Jost’s home:,18016,4976-7890,00.html . As you read the Journal, over the winter of 1855-56 John worked odd jobs, mostly building homes for the growing frontier town.

He must have been fairly successful, since he was able to leave for Salt Lake the next summer with he and his family in an ox-pulled wagon. Miraculously, the family lost no other members on the trip, so it looks like he made a good decision. Here is a record from the Journal of Levi Savage that mentioned the Josts as being part of a Wagon Company, organized at Florence Nebraska, with Captain Willie’s Fourth Hand Cart Company in the summer of 1856:,%20Levi,%20Junior/

This link coincides with this information that you found:,15791,4018-1-19653,00.html

Here is a day by day account of the Willie company’s crossing, taken from different journal entries: Although the record starts in May of 1856, its not until August that the Josts become part of the Willie Hard Cart company. John Jost is first mentioned in this record on August 16, 1856:
Part of the company left Florence and camped with “Colonel” Almon W. Babbitt.
Company Journal
Part of the 4th Company of Hand-carts 85 in number under the presidency of Elder James G. Willie started from Florence in company with 11 waggons (P.E.Fund & Independent) about one o’clock p.m. and journey to Little Pappea where they camped for the night with Col. Babbitt and 4 waggons of his. The Handcart Company had been organized into hundreds by President Daniel Spencer at Iowa City and subsequently sanctioned by President James McGaw. Millen Atwood, Capt. of 1st Hundred, Levi Savage Capt. of 2nd Hundred, William Woodward Capt. of 3rd Hundred, John Chislett Capt. of 4th Hundred, J.A. Ahamason, Capt. of 5th Hundred. Brother Jost borrowed a yoke of oxen from Bro. Cantwell in consequence of his own being unmanageable. Promised to return said yoke tomorrow - 6 miles from Florence.

Read through and some other mentions are made:
August 30, 1856- Indian attacks on the trail, and wandering oxen added to Jost’s wagon team
September 1, 1856- John assists in the first Buffalo kill
September 5, 1856- Visitors to the company, including Orrin Porter Rockwell
September 19, 1856- John helping repair handcarts
September 30, 1856- The “Independent Waggons” stayed at Fort Laramie and the rest of the company moved onward. This would have included the Josts, as confirmed by the statement that they ended up “joining the Hodgett Company at Ft. Laramie”. Take a look here and read the trail excerpts:,15791,4018-1-19653,00.html

The Willie Hardcart company did not stay in Fort Laramie and continued ahead. At that point, the Josts stay in Fort Laramie for a week and a half before leaving as part of the Hodgett wagon company. Here is the record of Hodgett company’s final leg of the trip. The Hodgett company eventually catches up with the Willie and Martin Handcart companies and ends up infamously caught in an early snow, part of the familiar story of how Conference was stopped when Brigham Young got word of the stranded Saints and immediately sent out rescue parties.  

Hodgett Company from Ft Laramie
Thursday, Oct. 9. The company started at 8 o'clock a.m. The latter part of the day, the roads led over soft sand, and it was with great difficulty that some of the wagons could pull through. The encampment for the night was made at 7 o'clock p.m., about one miles from Fort Laramie, after traveling 20 miles during the day. The feed was very poor at this camp. John Joseph Wiseman, aged 5 years, son of John and Mary Ann Wiseman, died at 10 p.m. from bodily weakness.

Friday, Oct. 10. The camp was visited in the morning by some of the brethren from the wagon and handcart companies, which were only a few miles ahead. The company started at 3 o'clock p.m., traveled over sandy road part of the way and camped at 6 o'clock p.m., after traveling 6 miles. The feed was poor at this camp.

Saturday, Oct. 11. The camp did not move this day, some trading of cattle being done.

Sunday, Oct. 12. Brother [William] Beesley and family with his wagon and Brother [William] Bell and family, with his wagon left camp and started back for Fort Laramie in the morning. The cause for Brother Beesley's return was the weak condition of his team, and Brother Bell did not wish to endure the severity of the weather, journeying so late in the season. The company broke camp at 12 o'clock noon, traveled 7 miles and camped on the Platte at 4 o'clock p.m.

Monday, Oct. 13. The journey was resumed at 8 o'clock a.m., traveling over a very hilly country. After traveling 20 miles during the day the encampment was made at 6:40 p.m., two miles from the river, where the feed was pretty good.

Tuesday, Oct. 14. The journey was continued at 8 o'clock a.m. and after traveling 15 miles during the day, the night encampment was made at 4:45 p.m. at a place where the feed was good across the river. At the evening prayer meeting it was proposed that as James Creek had removed from the Ten, over which he was captain, that John James Holley should succeed him as captain of the Ten, and that James Creek assist Holley as captain of the guard, in some of his duties.

Wednesday, Oct. 15. The journey was resumed at 8:30 a.m. and the river forded at noon . After traveling 17 miles, the encampment for the night was made at 5:45. Pretty good feed was found across the river.

Thursday, Oct. 16. The journey was resumed at 7:30 a.m., the company again forded the river at 1 p.m. to the south side and the night encampment was made at 7:15 p.m., after traveling 22 miles. Feed was rather scarce.

Friday, Oct. 17. The journey was continued at 8:30 a.m., and the night encampment made at 5:45 p.m., after traveling 16 miles. The cattle were driven across the river to feed on rather poor grass.

Saturday, Oct. 18. The company started at 9 o'clock a.m., traveled 15 miles and camped on the Platte River at 6 p.m., where the feed was tolerably good.

Sunday, Oct. 19. The journey was continued at 7:30 a.m., and Capt. Edward Martin's handcart company was passed just as it was ready to start, after having stopped for dinner. Many of the handcart people pulled their carts alongside of the wagons belonging to the Hunt company "and", writes the clerk of the wagon company, "it was enough to draw forth one's sympathy for them, seeing the aged women and children pulling their handcarts, many of them showing haggard countenances. We passed Fort Bridge <(Platte Bridge)> about noon and camped at 2 o'clock p.m. on the fording place on the Platte River, after traveling 14 miles. Capt. Hodgetts company had just forded when we arrived, and the handcart company crossed directly afterwards."

Monday, Oct. 20. This morning the ground was covered with snow which prevented the company from moving. The cattle were driven into the corral in the afternoon, some 12 or 14 head being missing. It commenced snowing again at 3 p.m. and continued for some time.

Tuesday, Oct. 21. The snow was about 8 inches deep, which completely stopped the company from traveling. The missing cattle had crossed the river and got mixed with Capt. Martin's company. They were all found. Wednesday, Oct. 22. The fording of the river was commenced at 1 o'clock p.m. by doubling teams. traveling one miles on the other side, and encampment was made for the night. The brethren cut down cottonwood trees to feed the cattle.

Thursday, Oct. 23. The weather was very cold and frosty. William Upton who arrived from Capt. Hodgett's company the previous evening by Jesse Haven to consult Dr. Wisemant [Wiseman], died of mortification of the heart aged 34 years. The camp was still detained because of snow. By this time several of the cattle had died.

Friday, Oct. 24. A very cold north-west wind was blowing, and the snow was quite deep, almost as deep as when it first fell. More timber was cut down to feed the cattle. One ox was found dead, and two more were not able to stand the weather were slaughtered.

Saturday, Oct. 25. The snow drifted by the effect of a cold and strong wind so that the ground became bare in some places, thus enabling the cattle to get a little grass.

Sunday, Oct. 26. There was a slight thaw during the day and the cattle looked much better. Capt. Hunt went to Fort Bridger to see about trading for cattle to replace those that had died.

Monday, Oct. 27. The snow melted gradually. fourteen head of cattle were brought from the Fort in the evening and more could be had on the morrow. Tuesday, Oct. 28. The weather continued cold. Brothers Joseph W. Young and two other brethren arrived in camp in the evening from the Valley. This caused rejoicing generally throughout the camp, though the tiding of the snow extended westward for forty or fifty miles, was not encouraging. The handcart companies had been supplied with food and clothing and the conditions of the wagon companies would be reported to the Valley speedily, as the brethren traveling in that company were also getting short of provisions. Thirteen head of cattle were brought from the Fort in the evening.

Wednesday, Oct. 29. The three brethren, who had arrived in the camp from the valley the day before, left the Capt. Hunt's company on their return, expecting to be back with the help in ten days. The company on their return, expecting to be back with help in ten days. The company resumed the journey at 2 o'clock p.m., leaving one old wagon belonging to Brother [James] Walters who had joined Brother [James Morris] Farmer in bringing their teams together and making one wagon serve for both families. After traveling 3 miles a new encampment was made at 3:30 p.m., at a place where the feed was scarce. Thursday, Oct. 30. The company resumed the journey at 9 o'clock a.m., the weather being fine, but the roads heavy, leading over high hills and wet, sandy ground. After traveling 7 miles, the company went into camp at 2 p.m., near the Platte River, where the feed was scarce. Margaret Price, wife of John Price of Pembrokeshire, Wales, was delivered of a daughter.

Friday, Oct. 31. The company remained in camp all day. The brethren who had received fresh cattle from the traders at Fort Bridge upon a draft of Brigham Young held by Brother Thomas Thomas (who kindly proffered it for the use of the camp) signed bonds, giving security to him of their oxen and wagons.

Saturday, Nov. 1. The company resumed the journey at 11:15 a.m., but traveled only a short distance when a snowstorm came on, accompanied by rain, making the ground very wet and muddy. All the emigrants were cautioned not to the let the cattle drink, as the road led through poisonous creeks of water. After traveling 12 miles, encampment was made at 7 o'clock p.m., where there was no wood nor water. The company was met during the day by Brothers Cyrus H. Wheelock and William Broomhead from the Valley. They came to find out the condition of the wagon company.

Sunday, Nov. 2. During the night a hard frost had prevailed and several of the cattle had strayed away. Search was made some distance around the camp but they could not be found. Those who had their teams traveled on to Willow Springs, from which place oxen were sent back to bring up the other wagons afterwards. Capt. John A. Hunt and Gilbert Spencer went back to the previous day's camping place and found the missing oxen, which they brought to camp late in the evening. At this place, the snow was 6 or 7 inches deep, and the weather was very cold. The brethren cut down willows for the oxen. The company traveled 4 miles during the day. A meeting was held in the camp in the evening addressed by Elders Wheelock, Webb and Broomhead, and a unanimous vote was taken that all the emigrating Saints would be willing to do as they were instructed, even if it was required of them to leave all they had behind and be glad to get into the Valley with their lives only. They agreed to cease complaining at coming so late in the season, as everything was being done to start the company.

Monday, Nov. 3. The company started at 10:30 a.m., the weather being very cold. Fourteen or fifteen oxen were left on the road. The night encampment was formed on Greasewood Creek, half a mile from the crossing, at 8 p.m., after traveling 11 miles, during the day. The infant child of William Goble died at 9 o'clock p.m.

Tuesday, Nov. 4. The brethren found some green grass growing along the banks of Greasewood Creek and they scraped off the snow in places, in order to find something for the cattle to eat. A fresh start was made at 3 o'clock p.m., but after traveling 5 miles, another encampment was made on the same creek (Greasewood Creek).

Wednesday, Nov. 5. Jane Walters, daughter of John Walters, died at 9:30 a.m., aged 8 weeks. The company started at 11 o'clock a.m., passed Independence Rock at 2 p.m. and arrived at the log house at Devil's Gate at 8 p.m. Here Brother Hodgett's company were encamped. Brother Grant and other brethren from the Valley were stopping here to give the emigrating Saints instructions in regard to their further journeyings to the Valley. A meeting was called which was addressed by Brothers Grant, Cyrus H. Wheelock and Burton. Brother Grant informed the emigrants that they would have to leave their goods at this place (until they could be sent for), such as stoves boxes of tools, clothing, etc., and only take along sufficient clothing to keep warm, with their bedding. He wanted four or five wagons and teams to assist the handcart companies and he expected them to take only about half the number of wagons along. All present expressed their willingness to do whatever was expected of them. The distance traveled during that day was 12 miles.

Thursday, Nov. 6. The weather was intensely cold and stormy and the snow drifted very much. The brethren commenced to unpack their wagons and store the goods in a log house. William Burton died at 10 o'clock p.m. He had been brought down with ague, and could not bear the intensity of the cold. Brother Burton was 26 years old.

Friday, Nov. 7. The weather continued extremely cold. More wagons were unloaded and the goods stored. Ann David [Davis], aged 47 years, died at 4 p.m. of diarrhea.

Saturday, Nov. 8. Capt. William B. Hodgett's company rolled out from Devil's Gate encampment, and the remainder of the wagons in Capt. Hunt's company were unloaded. An inventory of the goods left at the log house was given to Brother George Grant.

Sunday, Nov. 9. The weather being a little milder, the company resumed the journey at 12 o'clock noon, crossing the Sweetwater and camped at 4 p.m., having traveled 6 miles. Twenty-four wagons were the number taken by the company from Devil's Gate.

Monday, Nov. 10. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Tuesday, Nov. 11. Mary Hutchinson, aged 70 years, died at 4 o'clock p.m. James Reese, aged 60 years, died at 9 o'clock p.m. after suffering a long time from diarrhea and ague.

Wednesday, Nov. 12. Sophia Turner, aged 14 years, was found dead in bed, having been suffering with diarrhea for some time past.

Thursday, Nov. 13. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Friday, Nov. 14. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Saturday. Nov. 15. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Sunday, Nov. 16. John Turner, aged 12 years, died at 7 o'clock a.m. of diarrhea.

Monday, Nov. 17. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Tuesday, Nov. 18. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Wednesday, Nov. 19. The company crossed the South Pass and camped at the Pacific Springs.

Thursday, Nov. 20. The company was divided into several smaller ones.

Friday, Nov. 21. The camp clerk writes: "Four horse teams arrived in camp this morning and took away about ten of our company to each wagons."

Saturday, Nov. 22. The camp journal says: "A number of Oxen came from Fort Bridger and took on from several of the wagons to that place."

Sunday, Nov. 23. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Monday, Nov. 24. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Tuesday, Nov. 25. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Wednesday, Nov. 26. The company arrived at Green River. Thursday, Nov. 27. Sarah Pay, aged 30 years, died of diarrhea.

Friday, Nov. 28. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Saturday, Nov. 29. Several wagons crossed Green River and camped on the other side, in order to be in readiness to start on the following morning.

Sunday, Nov. 30. The remainder of the wagons left Green River.

Monday, Dec. 1. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Tuesday, Dec. 2. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Wednesday, Dec 3. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Thursday, Dec. 4. The last of the wagons arrived at Fort Bridger.

Friday, Dec. 5. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Saturday, Dec. 6. A messenger arrived from Great Salt Lake City in the evening, bringing intelligence that a number of teams were coming on the road to bring in the remainder of the Saints from the mountains they were also bringing provisions with them. This caused great joy in the camp.

Sunday, Dec. 7. Fourteen wagons <(relief teams)> arrived in camp in the evening from the Valley.

Monday, Dec. 8. More wagons <(relief teams)> arrived in camp from the Valley.

Tuesday, Dec. 9. This morning some of the teams which had come from the Valley to help in the belated emigrants started on their return.

Wednesday, Dec. 10. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Thursday, Dec 11. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Friday, Dec. 12. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Saturday, Dec. 13. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Sunday, Dec. 14. (Nothing was written in the camp journal this day.)

Monday, Dec. 15. The following is the last entry made by lead pencil in John A. Hunt's camp journal: "The remainder of the saints arrived in Great Salt Lake City today, the emigration being now completed."

John Jost’s last journal entry was made in pen (perhaps indicating it was after the fact). It simply said “arrived S.L. City Dec 15, 1856”. This information matches up completely with what I found, and explains the questions raised in  the comments section of the John Jost Article I have attached. Like you, they were wondering why they didn’t arrive in Salt Lake when the rest of the Willie and Martin companies did.
 received September 21, 2012

another email from Ted Richardson

It’s funny that you mentioned you served a mission in France. John Jost’s grandfather was part of a group of immigrants that came to Nova Scotia from France in the early 1750’s as a result of Britain’s drive to have Protestant settlers displace the Catholic French Settlers there: This wave of immigration was organized by Edward Cornwallis, more about the Cornwallis family later.

On 30 May 1752, Johann George Jost (John’s Grandfather) was listed as a passenger on the ship “Betty” , although he is shown as Jean George Joost (French spelling of his German name). My 6th great grandfather, George Bouteilier, was also a passenger on that ship (and in fact, both of my grandmothers were born as Boutilier’s, as spelled today). Most of the people on the “Betty” were from Montbéliard France (located very near the French/German/Swiss border), although Johann Jost was listed as being from Strasbourg France (even closer to the German border and ethnically and linguistically German).

Apparently, Johann Jost and the others were Calvinists, and as Protestants they were constantly being harassed by the Catholics. Family tradition (from my Boutilier side) tells that they chose to live close to the German/Swiss/French border as a way of protecting themselves from whichever government was harassing them the most, escaping by running to a different country any time there was trouble.  There is a lot of information on Johann here:

The crossing to Nova Scotia was not easy:, but the prospect of religious freedom and land ownership was worth the hardship, and Johann even became a naturalized British citizen in 1758.

This whole time period was tumultuous, both in Europe and in Nova Scotia. Events were leading up to the The French and Indian War, essentially the North America theatre of the European Seven Years War between the French and English. Nova Scotia was really in the crosshairs, since it had a history of French Colonization and was being viewed suspiciously by the 13 British colonies. Back in 1605, Nova Scotia was settled by the French, who constructed Port Royal in south western Nova Scotia, the first permanent European settlement north of Florida (even beating out Jamestown). This community grew into what was eventually called Acadia.  

In 1755, shortly after Johann’s arrival to Nova Scotia, the French Speaking Catholic Acadians were deported en masse by the British. A lot of these Acadians found their way to Louisiana, the only “safe”(at the time) French colony in North America. Nova Scotia’s Acadians became Louisiana “Cajuns”, and the cultivated lands they left behind were settled by New England farmers, fortifying Britain’s control of the area. It’s interesting (at least to me) that the Acadians in Nova Scotia cultivated their crops on the shores of the Bay of Fundy, which has the highest tides in the world. The Acadians developed a series of Dykes to keep their fields safe from ocean flooding, a skill that became very handy when draining some of the swamplands of Louisiana.

The treaty of Paris ended the French and Indian War in 1763, and Nova Scotia became England’s 14th American colony. In 1776, a bunch of rabble rousers in Boston started a Revolution, and the entire British fleet relocated to Halifax Nova Scotia. Although some Nova Scotians (especially the New England Planters) wanted to join the rebellion, British Garrisons and Sailors outnumbered the population 3 to 1, and men like Johann Jost and thousands of other Calvinist immigrants had sworn an oath to the British crown, and they remained loyal to England. Remember Edward Cornwallis, the man who organized the Calvinist immigration to Nova Scotia? His Nephew, Charles Cornwallis, was the man that surrendered to George Washington and ended British rule in what became America.       

I have probably bored you enough for one night. To answer your question, I am not a direct descendent of John Jost. I was born in Nova Scotia so my side of the Jost family remained in Nova Scotia, and it was only when I was doing Temple work did I “find” John, who like me had converted to the LDS church. I was shocked when I discovered a brother of one of my direct ancestors had been born in Lunenburg NS and died in Ogden UT.  Over the last few years I have been able to gather a fair bit of information, I hope you have found it interesting.
received September 30, 2012

This is a copy of the Journal of John Alexander Jost.
May 1855

Copied by Leone Parker
Great Granddaughter
Riverdale, Utah
DUP camp #27

Saturday morning 12th of Hay 1855 at Halifax, Nova Scotia  at 9 o’c1ook embarked on board the Barque Halifax Captain Leopold for Boston en route to the Valley of the Great Salt lake. The following names include members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and some who were not members, but who went with the first appointments for baptism:

                John A. Jost, Presiding Elder

                Mary Ann Jost, Eliza Jost, Alice Jost, Catherine Jost, John D. Jost, Samuel Jost, Thomas Jost, Mary Ann Jost, Andrew Jost.

Thomas W. Wright, Elder

Elizabeth Wright, Charlotta Wright, Eliza Wright, William Wright, Hyrum T. Wright.

James Falkner, Mary Ann Falkner, Rebecca Falkner, Stephen Falkner, Eliza Falkner; Edward Falkner, Edward Falkner, James Falkner, Burk Falkner, John Falkner.

Nancy Walsh, James Walsh, William Walsh, Stephen Walsh, George McDowell, and Harriete Grady

Two families left behind. Brother Green's family, himself and eldest daughter being sick but expect to be fit or well enough to embark in the next packet for Boston.  Brother Middlemap and family also left behind. He having been delayed in getting in amount of money which was to have been paid a week before our time of starting.  This family will also leave by the first opportunity. These families and Brother Stevenson expect to join us at St. Louis or sooner. The vessel set sail in Halifax Harbor about 10 o’clock a. m. 12th day of lay 1855.  Wind from the south.  Vessel made a few tacks out of the harbor and then took the wind fair. Sun clear and bright.  Much difficulty in getting off.

Two police officers on board and stayed sometime after the vessel was underway searching for me.  (I being concealed away in the vessel) for an old debt of 10 which among others I was unable to pay in consequences of a failure of about  six years ago.  My other creditors hindered me not, nor were they unwilling for me to go away. They knew I was unable to pay but this one man C. D. Hunter persecuted me until the last. Hearing the day before that the officers were looking for me, I kept out of the officers’ way and in the evening went to Mr. Hunter's house.  The day had been one set apart by authority for public fasting and prayer to God for success to the British Army in opposition to the Russians.  Mr. Hunter being a good Methodist had been to prayers of' course.  I laid my case before him, and told him I had not a penny piece of my own and that I was going away, but by the assistance of others.  Also, if he stopped me he would suffer a helpless family to go unprotected to a strange country and then could not get his money for I had it not. He spoke many hard things against me and said I should not go that he would hire me out to a baker and make me work it out, and that he should and would have his money.  I pleaded hard and in tears.  I implored him in the name of the Lord not to stop me on account of my family.  He cared not.  His heart was as hard as stone and would not yield.  He had no soft spot in it or it would have been pierced by my entreaties.  He turned me off telling ma he would be paid.

                I left his house praying to the Lord to assist me clear of' the officers, whom he had employed. I got my family and belongings on board by the assistance of Brother Greer Jensen and by much care and watchfulness and the assistance of Brother Wright I escaped the officers and got on board and secreted myself away.

The Captain and crew and also the sailors were in favor with me and did as much kindness and although two officers of Police were twice on board and continued until sometime after the vessel was under sail. Yet I was saved from their hands and am spared from much trouble and left to comfort and help my family on the way, for which I rejoice and thank those men and above my God and Father for his kind protection and deliverance from this hard-hearted Mr. Hunter, who has more money than he knows what to do with, being just about closing a large business, selling his stores and retiring from his business to live on a large and ample fortune.  He will no doubt enjoy it to the extent the Lord will permit him--I will leave him in his hands.

The day was pleasant and the evening closed pleasantly, sea very smooth and wind light.

                Sunday May 15th, wind light, vessel going before it with sails square.  Sea very smooth.  Some of' the company very seasick, though not so bad.  Day closed pleasantly.  Intended to have preached, but was not well enough. Closed the evening on deck by singing some hymns which seemed to interest all the passengers and crew.

                Went below and united in prayer and retired. All agreeable and pleasant.

                Monday, May 14th.  Wind light, sea smooth.  Calm in the afternoon.  At dusk some rain with lightning and thunder. A small breeze for a short time and then calm all night.

                Tuesday, May 15th.  Calm in the morning and for part of the day. Cleansed the steerage.  Afternoon a breeze. Seasick saints batter.  Evening wind freshened and raised the sea some of the saints got worse.

                Wednesday 16th.  All well except a little seasickness. Good breeze but sea rougher.

Thursday 17th.  All well.  Wind ahead.  Came to anchor near the light about 9 o’clock in the evening.

Friday 18th.  Fine clear morning.  Barque got underway about 7 o’clock and got to the wharf about 10 o’clock. Made arrangements to take the oars at one o’clock tomorrow. Tried to get the head morning back but all to no purpose.

                Saturday 19th.  Left Boston at 1:30, arrived in Albany 11 o'clock at night - 200 miles - Crossed the Hudson and put up at a Mr. Kernan's Hotel.

                Sunday 20th.  Remained in Albany all day.  Walked around the cities spacious and handsome buildings.  Streets wide and parallel.  One of the children sick.  Many shops open - trainmen shops and others.  No liquor sold on Sundays. Healthy.

                Monday 21st.  Left Albany at 12 o'clock, day pleasant.  Passed through many beautiful and healthy manufacturing towns and cities with extensive and beautiful buildings.  Wide streets.  These towns are only five, ten, twelve and so on miles from each other.  Overtook a drove of cattle on the track.  The force was immediately taken off. Brakes applied and the sway of the cars was stopped so that the cattle was not much injured.  The engine threw them all in a heap in the ditch and one lost his horns.  I believe no other damage was done. Travelled all night.  Got to Rochester about 7 in the morning and to Buffalo about 11 o’clock a. m. Stephen and Eliza Falkner left behind at Rochester.  Express train brought them to Buffalo about half past 3 o’clock.  Caused us much uneasiness for a time, particularly to their parents.  A man with a Penfíeld on his hat extracted from us five and a half dollars to carry our baggage from railroad depot to steam depot.  When we got to Buffalo searched him out and got it back.  Paid for eating, $5.00, at John Taylor’s for bread and milk fifty cents.

Tuesday 22nd. Left Buffalo about 9:30 p.m. by the steam --Michigan for Toledo. Spent for meals $5.00.  Falkner cheated me of $3.50.

Wednesday 23d. 0n the Lake Erie bound for Toledo. Find day rather hazy.  Was hindered and lost about four hours in standing by breaking ice.  Arrived at Toledo about 5: 30 p.m.  Had it not been for the ice the steamer would have arrived at 3 o’clock.  The cars leave Toledo at 4:30 p.m.  Cars had gone just one hour before we arrived and no other trains until tomorrow at 4:50 p.m.  Must remain until tomorrow. By the kindness of the mates we men were allowed to remain on board the steamer all night.  Our beds tied up and 1n the depot.  We had nothing for three or four steamer beds without covering or pillows.

Thursday 24th.  Four o’clock in the morning.  Turned out to look for a room to lodge in.  Could not find any but those drinking boarding houses. Took all the company to one at 5:30 p.m.  Agreed to get one meal at 9 o’clock.  Toledo is very unhealthy.  A disagreeable stench in the streets.  Stagnant water in pools in various places.  Was not so warm as yesterday.  Cannot leave until 4:50 p.m.  Distance from Buffalo to Toledo by Lake 250 miles by rail 290 miles.

                By agreement paid $6.00 for breakfast for all hands. Most of the company left the boarding house as soon as breakfast was over.  Went about one mile down the river and spent the day on the grass under the shade of a tree. Had some bread and milk about 2 o’clock, and then moved for the cars.  Left about 5 o'clock p.m. for Chicago.  Cars much inferior to the cars to Buffalo. Paid fifty cents for bread and milk.

                Friday 25th.  Arrived at Chicago about 5:15.  Much bustle and hurry in getting baggage from one depot to the other.  Got the baggage over and family at the depot.  About 9 o'clock got some bread and milk and eat 1n the depot. Cost $1.00 - grief by annoyance by the hackmen and eating housekeepers.  Left Chicago quarter to eleven -1lst class cars.  Paid extra for baggage $5.00 - hauling 75 cents.  Brother Falkner paid $2.00 on the extra baggage and I paid $3.00. Falkner made more complaints about having to pay for extra baggage.  Approved somewhat dissatisfied and said he wanted nothing extravagant.  Had bread and milk at the cost of 95 cents.  Left Chicago quarter to eleven. Pretty comfortable in the cars all night.

                Saturday 26th.  Arrived at Alton 1 o’clock.  Left Alton by Steamer and arrived at St, Louis about 3:30. Brother Falkner having means to proceed to the valley.  Shipped immediately on board the Golden State Steamer for Atchison with his own and Mr. Walsh’s family.  Brother Wright and myself walked around the city for two hours.  Could not find rooms to live in.  The whole family remained on the dock until our return.  The brethren allowed us to go into the basement of the meeting house until we could procure a place.  Moved baggage and children than took supper and fixed our beds on the seats.  Place full of rats running about and over things.  Killed six before we went to bed.  William Wright sick all the way.  When we 1anded at St. Louis paid truckage sixty cents, bread and milk $2.05, bread 40 cents.

                Sunday May 27th.  Five o'clock William Wright better, but has a bad cough.  Place very damp.  Three times to meeting --good times.

                Monday 28th.  Bread and milk 50 cents. Bread and cheese 35 cents.

                Tuesday 29th.  Brother Lion and Brother Middlemap arrived this morning with old Sister Priestly.  Plead with Middlemap and Sister Priestly most of the day to lend me some money to go on with.  Think I shall get it.

                Wednesday 30th.  Still in the basement of the meeting house.  Must go somewhere ‘today by order of the Bishop.  Used all the persuasion I could and plead very hard with Brother Middlemap to let me have $4.00 or $5.00 to go through with.  The money being Sister Priestley's he referred me to her.  She, after some hesitation said she was agreed to give it if Brother Middlemap would go security to her.  Offered Brother Middlemap good security for the money if he would obtain it for me.  He plead around and questioned and hesitated and after keeping me two days uniting for him he backed out.  He charged me with lying too, which was not true.  A pretext for refusal.  Came away and told him his money would not do him my good.  George, Eliza and Alice sailed today for Atchison in Brother Blair's Company.  And in his company Brother Blair wished me much to be along with him and wanted to go security to Brother Middlemap for the amount I wanted.  Parted with him on the boat.  Alma said it was alright I would be along in a day or two.

                Thursday 31st.  Found two small rooms for $8.00 per month.  Paid in advance.  Moved into them with Brother Wright's family.  Mrs. Jost weary md crying much for the fore part of the day.  In the afternoon more cheerful.  Attended meeting this evening in the chapel and bore my testimony with many of the Brethren and Sisters to the truth of this work.

                Friday June 1st.  Nothing important today.  Accompanied Brother Middlemap to a store to purchase drill for cover.  Spent the evening in reading the Book of Mormon.

                Saturday 2nd.  Continued to importune Brother Míddlelmap.  Made many excuses and one time told me I was a trouble in Israel.  I told him 1 was like the widow in the parable and would continue to trouble him until he granted my prayer or until he positively said he would not.

                Sunday 3rd.  Attended meeting three times.  Much edified.  Brother Miller from England md Brother Stevens from the Gibraltar Mission.  Attended an interesting discussion from Brother ----- who was one of the 500 that was sent to -----.  Gave account of the march and then discharge in California.  Building houses, discovering of the gold veins and the uproar it caused over the world.  And to use his own words, "All hell came to dig gold."  Called upon Brother Middlemap.  Stopped a few minutes and after greeting the family told him I was bound to trouble him until he assented my request.

                Monday 4th.  Called upon Brother Middlemap and once more endeavored to get him to lend me some money to get me to Utah.  After some little reasoning told me distinctly that he would not.  Said he would take me but not my family.  Had Brother Wright with him.  Saturday and today all day making purchases.

                Tuesday 5th.  Brother Wright staying with us until today.  Brother Middlemap had him engaged all until about 3:30.  Brother Wright came home at that time in a great hurry.  Scolded his wife for not having things ready. Packed in great haste and went with his family on board the boat for Atchison.  Went with him to the boat.  Found Brother Middlemap in a great flurry.  The boat was starting and his things not all on board.  Among other things his wagon covers not down.  Asked me to run for them. Gave me a sovereign to pay for them.  I took it and ran, got them and returned to the place but the boat had left for sometime.  Was in a great perspiration, clothes wet from the effects.  Carried the covers to my lodgings.  Paid for the wagon covers $3.50.  Charged delivered $1.35.  Wrote to Brother Blair and to son George by Brother Wright.

                Wednesday 6th.  Day rainy.  Remained home most of the day. Two families live in e next room.  Commenced fighting yesterday afternoon.  Men stripped and fought.  Women fought like savages, tearing hair, scratching and biting, continued for sometime.  Commenced again this morning and continued all day.  Drinking and fighting at intervals until they were exhausted and fatigued.

                Thursday 7th.  Morning clear, sun bright.  Two women commenced quarreling again.

                Friday 8th.  Wrote a long letter to Brother Middlemap.  Sent him his covers.  Visited the camp of the brethren about two miles out of the city.  One man died of Cholera, one little girl sick.  Meeting in evening.

Saturday 9th.  Sunday 10th.  Meeting morning and evening.  Visited camp in the afternoon.  Some good speaking.  The saints in the camp are some who came from England on the P. Friend.  But owning to some cause they are unable to proceed for a few days until some arrangements can be contracted into.  Mrs. Jost very discontented.  Continually complaining and mourning.

                Monday 11th, Tuesday 12th.  Nothing important.  Still waiting, hoping to see Brother Stevenson.  Turning over in my mind what I shall do to earn something.  Brother Lema was buried this afternoon.  Attended the funeral, died suddenly yesterday, was preaching on Sunday.

                Wednesday 13th.  Money all expended.  Borrowed $5.00 from Sister Harriete Grady and bought some sugar, some oil of mint and lemon to make candy.

                Thursday 14th.  Boiled $1.50 worth of candy. Sent out the boys, and they returned without selling any.  Sent than out again with the same success.

                Friday 15th.  Sent out John with the candy this morning.  Sold none.  Brother Snow arrived today.  Saw him in the evening.  Felt quite relieved in seeing him.  He had seen my letter to Brother Blair, and said my family who were with him were well.

                Saturday 16th.  Still waiting in anxious suspense to hear of or from Brother Stevenson.

                Saturday 23rd.  Nothing transpired yet that opens a way for me to get out.  Saw Brother Snow several times and told him I wished to throw myself on him.  He showed much anxiety to get me out.  Had some talk with Brother Basset.  He said Brother Snow was so busy that he could not think long enough to come to any conclusions.  He said he would talk to him again.  Borrowed $2.00 out of funds.

                Sunday 24th.  Saw Brother Basset after meeting.  Proposed to me to telegraph to Brother Stevenson and ask him if he would pay a draft and if Brother Stevenson in the affirmative then he Brother Snow would advance the amount.

                Monday 25th.  Telegraphed to Brother Stevenson -- ten words cost $2.90.  Brother Snow loaned me $5.00. Engaged all day taking down names of brethren going on board the Steamer Aranock No. 2 to go to Atchison in the evening.  Attended a meeting for the purpose of getting names of men who would go to Fort Riley to work as masons and laborers $1.25 per day.  Acted as clerk for the meeting.  Put down my name to go as a mason in case I could not go to the Valley.

                Tuesday 26th.  Some elders arrived this morning from the Valley on Missions.  Brought the news from the camp of several deaths by Cholera.  Among the number is my eldest girl Eliza Ann.  The others are from Texas.  They died in Camp - 17 miles from Mormon Grove.  Brother Curtis, one of the elders, who came from the Valley called at our house, took tea and Sister Harriete washed some clothes for him and put a new collar on his coat. Mrs. Jost has felt the affliction to be very severe and laments and grieves much about the death of Eliza.

                Wednesday 27th.  Still attending to Brother Snow's office and waiting to do any little thing that he wants.  Shipped some boxes of goods on board the Taranaok No. 2 for Brother Brigham yesterday and  Brother Curtis and Brother Smith called at the house this morning.  Called again in the evening and told what they knew of Brother Blair's Company.

                Thursday 28th.  Still waiting.  No message from Brother Stevenson yet.

Friday 29th.  Several more of the elders from the Valley arrived here today.  Reported twenty five died in Brother Blair's company.  Gave some more particulars concerning the sick.  Brother Scott said he laid hands on Eliza by her own request.  He said the pains which she had had left her.  Seemed easy but very low.  Did not get up again.  She asked if he thought she would get up again and Brother Scott told her he hoped so.

                Saturday 30th, June 1855.  Month up today of the room.  Not yet decided about going to the Valley.  Had no work, earned no money.  Have borrowed $4.00.  Have nothing to pay it with.  Almost in a fix. What shall I do?  About 6 o’clock met Brother Basset.  Asked me if I was in want.  Took out his purse and gave me $2.00 and told me not to want while he was there.  By letter from Brother twenty five have died.

                Saturday July 7th.  Nothing certain yet about going to the Valley for the past week.  I have been helping Brother Brown in Brother Snow’s office and shipping goods and some other small matters.  Brother Snow sometimes holds out encouragement to me, but nothing definite.  Told me this morning that tomorrow being Sunday would have sometime to consider my case.

                Sunday 8th.  Was at meeting, and heard Brother Spencer, who arrived last evening from Cincinnati.

                Monday 9th.  Working in the office and doing other small matters.  All day dark.  Heard nothing of’ my going on. Sat down and wrote four verses of poetry to Brother Snow.

                Tuesday 10th.  Saw Brother Snow, he laughed and said he had read my note to the company, who subscribed on the spot $5.00.  He said he would add $10 to it, and here is Brother Foster, he will give me $5.00 more and will take your boy and the young woman.  Told me to get my things on board, and asked me if I had enough to pay the dray man.  I told him I had enough.  He said to get your things down.  Felt glad.  Thought all was all right.  Brother Snow always said if I was at Atchison I might get a chance to get along.  Got my things dawn and all ready by three o'clock.   The boat sailed about five p.m.  Weather very warm.  Brothers Snow, Basset, Fuller and Rhees on board.
                Wednesday 11th.  Very warm all night.  Could not sleep.  Brother Snow gave Brother Mills $15.00 for me but that was only more than $1.00 more than half the fare.  I looked surprised and remarked I knew not what to do.  Had asked Brother Foster to comply with Brother Snow's request but Foster said he didn’t think he could.  Made some excuse I thought I would see Brother Snow and ask him how I should do.  But he was landed at Washington before I knew he was off the boat.  Had no chance to say anything to him.  The boat pushed off.  Stayed a few minutes, now I am in a fix thought I with but $15.00 to pay $28.00 with the amount of my passage.  I thought it over and felt much troubled and hurt again and again.  I thought what should I do.  In my trouble I sought a place in the boat where I could not be seen and put my complaint before the Lord.  Just before this I again appealed to Brother Foster and after some talk and persuasion he said he would let me have $5.00 more in return I gave him a new shirt and promised to help him in getting ready at Mormon Grove.  After I had prayed it come into my head to write a note to the Captain and I wrote five verses of poetry illustrating my situation and sent it to him.  After which I found much relief to my mind.  Delightful scenery on the river.  River very low, and impossible for boat to travel fast.

                Thursday 12th.  Weather so warm could not sleep much.   Heard nothing yet of my note to the Captain.
                Friday 13th.  Saturday 14th.  Weather very warm. The boat has been grounded many time.  Worked in the bakery and helped the baker Eugene Koshe.  Found him clever and got several little things from him to improve our living, which was indeed very poor.  Brother Mills who was told to supply us kept us scant.

                Sunday July 15th.  Everything goes on on the boat the same as any other day.  Stopped at several places end landed goods.  Sunday evening about 5 o’clock landed at Atchison.

                Monday 16th.  Went to Mormon Grove in the afternoon.

                Tuesday 17th.  Made some inquires around but have not accomplished anything.  Have to dress Mary Ann's foot twice and three times a day.  She scalded it on Sunday evening by stepping in a kettle of’ boiling water. Brother Barlow loaned me a tent to be returned when called for.  Erected it this afternoon.

                Wednesday 18th.  Received some flour and bacon from Bishop.  Working at log house.

                Thursday 19th.  Worked part of day at log house.  Weather very warm.  Feel badly in need of such food as have been used to.

                Friday 20th.  Saturday 21st.  Nothing important transpired.  Still waiting.  Received some more flour from the Bishop and some beans.  Raining.

                Sunday 22nd.  Brother Snow arrived last night about ten o’clock.

                Monday 23rd Tuesday 24th. Wednesday 25th, Thursday 26th.  Have done nothing.  Waiting to see if an opportunity would open for me.  Wanted some more flour and was refused.

                Friday 27th.  Asked Brother ----- what I should do.  He told me to my surprise that if he had been in my place he would have looked for work long ago.  Also told me about taking up a claim and many other things which of course was easy to say, but to do it was another question having no food, no money and could not earn any there.  Left in the afternoon for Atchison to look for work.  Found work with Brother Giles as carpenter.  Agreed to commence at $1.25 per day.  Told me he would advance me $5.00 to get some provisions.  Went back to the Grove same evening.

                Saturday 28th.  Some teams going to Atchison.  Pulled up stakes and shipped on the wagons and pitched my tent in the afternoon in the brush near the town of Atchison about a gun shot off.

                Sunday 29th.  Spent the day in the tent wearied and fatigued.  Kate still unwell as for a week past.

                Monday 30th.  Went to work at sunrise on a new building.

                Sunday August 5th.  Worked all the week.  Weather very warm.  Suffered much from the heat.  Drank great quantities of water.  Kate still unwell, but something better.  Engaged John to go to work in the brick yards tomorrow.

                Sunday August 12th.  Moved last Thursday to a house or rather a shanty about two miles from Atchison.  Fog and rain most of the time.  Yesterday and last evening the most lightning and thunder and rain that l ever saw.  Last night dismal.  House leaks, bed clothes and other things wet for the last four days and cannot get them dry.  Wind and rain beats in the cracks.  Mrs. Jolt constantly murmuring and complaining and finding fault with me and the Mormons.  Her foot most wall.  Kate still unwell, head sore, broken out in boils.  Working all day trying to stop leaks and fixing a bedstead to sleep upon.  Worked five days last week.  Lost half day moving and half day by rain.

                Sunday August 19th.  Much rain up till Wednesday.  All our things got wet - many of them mildewed.

Wednesday got them generally dried.  Worked only four days last week.

                Sunday August 26th.  Weather dry and fine.  Worked six days.

                Sunday September 2nd.  Weather very dry.  Water is scarce part of the time have to bring it over a mile.

                Sunday September 9th.  Weather very warm.  No rain.  Worked six days for Giles.

Sunday September 16th.  Still living in the shanty. Much difficulty in cooking out doors, the weather often being windy and rainy.  Commenced to board myself and work for $2.00 per day.  On Thursday cash.

                Sunday September 25rd.  Still working for Giles. Sister Harriete Grady has been with us sick for the last three weeks.  She has been out to service, but had to come home again too weak to continue.  Had the diarrhea for length of time for the last three weeks.  Continued to grow worse.  Tried different things to stop the bowels but nothing found effectual.  0n Monday last 17th was rebaptized.   She was very penitent and regretted much she had murmured.  She grow worse in body, but kept a good spirit until Friday about 3 o’clock September 21, 1855 she died.  She had no pain of the body only the inconvenience of the bowels and died easy in faith and hopes of the resurrection.  She had done all she knew and desired to submit to all things for righteousness sake.  She was buried yesterday afternoon September 22nd 1855 at Mormon Grove.

Sunday September 30th.  Left off work with Giles and went to work for Mr. Ireland on Tuesday 24th. Worked four and one half days for Mr. Ireland.  Nothing important.  Family well.  Due from Giles when I settled $25.00.  Did not pay me.  He disagreed with Mr. Adams and did not get his money from him. 

Sunday October 14th.  Still at work for Mr. Ireland.  Worked six days.  Weather warm.

Sunday October 21st.  Worked five one half days for Ireland.  Moved on Friday to a log house of Mr. Bennett.  Log house very open.  Weather changed and became cold.

                Sunday October 28th.  Worked six days for Ireland.  Experienced some misery on account of three very cold days.  The house being open and without windows or door.  Weather warmer.  Family all well.  Bought a cow and calf on Monday last from Mr. Shepherd for $25.00.

                Sunday November 4th.  Worked six days.  Sold calf to Mr. Ireland for $3.00.  Weather pleasant warmer than last week.  Worked this day for Mr. Ireland shingling Dixon’s roof.  Felt bad at having to go to a day’s work on Sunday.

                Sunday November 11th.  Worked all the week for Mr. Ireland.  Weather very fine.  Today raining.  Trying to make the old log cabin comfortable for winter as I have been employed previous Sundays it is exceedingly disagreeable to me. But I find it is necessary to do so.

                Sunday November 18th.  Read a letter from Anna. Middlemap, Salt Lake.  George's writing on the back.  Much disappointed in not getting one from him.  Worked six days for Ireland.  Weather colder.  Snow Friday night.  Roads bad.  Fell in with a man from Denmark, Brother Peter Pravent.  He could not speak English, but spoke German.  He could not get a place to stay.  Brought him home last night.  Had been three days at work and had no place to stop at.  Wife treated him well.  Today not so cold.

Monday 19th. This morning called the old man to go to work and after knocking and calling for sometime went up in the loft and found him dead.  Was much surprised for he seemed not so bad yesterday and went to bed without complaining.  Made the coffin and sent word to the Grove.  Put him in the Coffin and put the coffin outside the door for want of room.

                Tuesday Nov. 20th.  The van from the Grove came today and took the corpse to bury it at the Grove.

                Sunday November 25th.  Worked four and one half days this week.  Lost a day making coffin and half a day by rain.  Received last week a letter from George and one from Anna Middlemap from Utah.  Much pleased with the account of George gives of himself.  Wrote to George yesterday.

Sunday December 2nd.  Weather extremely fine all last week and day before at Atchison and account of the disturbance at Duzlak where it is said the mob has risen and defied the law.  Volunteers are called out from all parts of the territory to support the government.  Atchison has been alive all day yesterday with men preparing to go to the place of disturbance.  Continued firing of guns and pistols.  Men riding and walking to and fro armed with rifle, bowie knife and other weapons of destruction swearing and saying what they will do.  They mustered about a half mile from town last evening about 60 of them and marched this morning.  All well.  Worked 6 days last week.  Today getting some wood and plastering the cracks to keep the cold out of the house.  To work on Sunday is greatly disagreeable to me, but I hope the time is at hand when I shall get among the Sainte and worship God together with them, even in the Valley of Ephraim.

                Sunday December 9th.  Worked 6 days all week.  Weather up until today very fine and warm.  Today very cold and blustery.  Spent forenoon looking for my cow.

                Sunday December 16th.  All well.  Thanks to my God and Father.  Worked all the week for Ireland.

                Sunday December 23rd.  All well.  Weather severely cold.  River closed at the ferry today.  Worked six days for Ireland.  Bought a. double barreled gun from Mr. Mason to be paid in work to make two doors and a desk, he to find all the materials.

                Sunday December 30th.  Weather extremely cold.  Lost one day’s work on account of the cold and Christmas Day.  Worked on Christmas Day on Mason's doors and finished them on the following day at my dinner hour.  Made only four days for Ireland. Went today with Brother Giles out to Sister Griffin’s for prayer and singing and determined to meet every Sunday.  All well.  Paid out $28.00 yesterday in three pairs books for myself and two ---, a pig and two sacks flour.  Authorized Brother Giles to appropriate $5.00 which he owed me towards supporting the Mormons.

                Tuesday Jan. 1st 1856.  Weather very cold.  Worked half day in the afternoon nothing to do.  Took my sons and went after prairie hares - shot four.

                Sunday January 6th.  Weather very cold.  Attended meeting today at Brother Griffin's.  Branch reorganized.  Brother Giles, President.  Myself 1st and Brother George Rust 2nd Counselor.  Family all well.

                Sunday January 15th.  Morning very clear.  Cold.  Sun bright all nature beautiful.  The trees, shrubbery all covered with a silver frost which sparkled as the gentle breeze waved it in the sunbeams.  Myself, Kate and Jack left home for Mormon Grove.  The sun just peeping over the hills.  Attended meeting at the Grove.  Had a good time and started for home about 4 o’clock.  Afternoon stormy.  Got home by dark.   Worked only one day for Mr. Ireland.  Jobbing the rest of the week.  Made my wages.  All well.  Thanks to our Father in Heaven. 

                Sunday January 27th.  Heavy snowstorm.  Been snowing nearly three days.  Snow about fifteen inches deep.  Housed all day.

                Left Atchison for Florence on Thursday June 1856.  Arrived in Salt Lake City December 15, 1856.

 This is a copy of the Journal of my Great Grandfather.                   
Loone Parker, Riverdale, Utah Camp 27
Found on Family Tree

From Tell My Story Too by Jolene S. Allphin, A Collection of biographical sketches of pioneers & rescuers of the Willie, Martin, Hodgett, Hunt companies 1856, pp 123-124, The Andrew L Siler history. "Andrew was called to preside over the four or five Independent Wagons that also joined the Willie Company at Florence. These included the Cantwell, Geary, and Jost families;… Capt. Siler and Bros. Jost and Joseph Elder by permission went ahead of the Camp in pursuit of Buffalo and succeeded in killing one which was not brought into camp till about 11 p.m." (Willie Company Journal) Found on
In Willie Handcart Company, left Ft. Laramie with the Hodgett wagon train and became part of the Siler wagon train. The family suffered with the Willie-Martin Handcart Company at Martin's Cove in October/November 1856. The family entered the Salt Lake Valley on December 15, 1856. Their names are engraved with the Siler Wagon Train at the visitor's center at Martin's Cove. 
Found on

On The Death of Eliza, Our Eldest Daughter written by her father, John Alexander Jost


The offspring of our early wedlock, and first years 
Of our union, has left the stage of life --- 
Left father, mother, brothers, sisters, friends – left many 
Of the daughters of the earth, whom much she 
Loved, and who in turn loved her. Her 
Days upon the earth were few. In bloom of 
Life and health, and animation lively – in joyous 
Youth and beauty, she was called to lay her body down. 
The finer feeling of the mind, just now, 
Beginning to expand – the well filled bud of youth 
Just bursting into womanhood; when, Lo! The withering 
Blast of death swept by, and touched the opening 
Flower. With buoyant heart and spirit 
She sped along the walks of life – with pleasing 
Voice, in song she cheered her friends and parents 
Dear; and oft raised the drooping, saddened heart 
To happiest reflections. She loved the pleasing 
Scenes of gayest life, in innocence and virtue; 
For scarce had she begun to know the painful sting 
That lurks unseen, beneath the garb of earthly joys,
Or stealthy coil of poisonous reptile, that too oft
Lies hid in blackest heart, though covered well
With garments gay, and cloth of finest texture.

We thank our God, that in her heart was virtue,
And in her eye was keen discernment.  She 
Heeded words of counsel from her friends and
Parents, whom she loved.  And thus detected
Much, the poison mixed with sweet; and 
Hidden bitterness of soul that follows evil pleasures.

If in my song I praise too much my own,
I ask forbearance; for, though she had her faults
And many too she had; yet she obedient
Proved, when called to separate from early friends, 
And oft obedient proved in other things.

Obedient to the gospel call, in these last 
Days, I left my native home.  I summoned
All who called me by the endearing name of
Father, to follow in the train.  I told them
That we would wend our way to Ephraim's promised
Land - to lands in far off West, in peaceful
Vales of Zion's lofty mount.  This is the 
Lord's command in these last days.  All 
Men who will be saved from threatened vengeance
Of an angry God, poured out in justice,
On the wicked nations of the earth, should
Gather up to Ephraim's mount, and hide them
Then, till pestilence and famine pass away.
There to abide in safety if obedient, and then
Enjoy God's laws, revealed through Prophets, Seers and
Revelators; and live on all the precious fruits
of happy land - blessed for the righteous sake.

Obedient to my call Eliza proved, and 
Fixed, and planned, and worked, and helped to 
Pull up stakes and travel on. Though 
Much was placed in front, by Priest and 
People – relations, friends and neighbors. All 
Friends so called. They said, “Eliza don’t you
Go; your living here you now can earn; 
You’re old enough, and able too, to gain your bread; 
Your father much in error’s path has strayed, 
Said they; and you and he, and all will ruined 
Be, who follow him through vain delusion’s track.” 

Of her own age, and sex, she many 
Favorites had. They loved each other much, 
And sorrowed much, when called to part. 
She parted from all these, and though ‘twas 
Hard, she turned her back to all these things, 
And closed her ear to every sound, but that 
Of parents’ orders. 

We journeyed from our native home 
And safe arrived in this fair land, en route 
For Salt Lake Valley. Here disappointment 
Met us face to face; and we obliged were 
To spread our tents and tarry for a while. 
The subject of our song loved not this place, 
She much desired, and longed to travel on, 
And eagerly she grasped, first chance that 
Opened up before her. A herald of
 The Gospel, and champion bold, had just
 Returned from neighboring land of Texas, 
And preparing was, to journey o’er the plains 
With happy heart, to join his family in their
 Mountain home. He saw her, and 
Her sister next in years, and said he’d take 
Them on, and take their older brother too – 
God bless the man! With blessing, 
Counsel, and consent of parents, they 
Parted from us; but she, our eldest 
Girl, we little thought to meet no more 
On this side of the grave. 

(Concluded next week)

This appeared in the St. Louis Luminary – July 14, 1855 – Volume I, Number XXXVI, (a typo which should have been Number XXXIV), page 136 


She joined the camp of Israel, and 
Commenced her journey o’er the plains. One 
Short day’s march was scarce performed. 
They scarce had spread their tents and eat 
Their evening meal, with thankful hearts, 
When lo! A pale-faced visitor began to hover 
Round about the tents; and ere the shades 
Of night had passed away, his withering 
Blight passed through their midst, and 
Left the mark of sure decay, and death, on 
Many Saints. The morning sun 
Beamed forth his light around the camp, 
But naught of mirth was heard, nor joyful 
Morning song. All dark --- all sad and 
Dreary was the scene within. The 
Groans of dying Saints, and shrieks of living 
Ones, might now be heard within the tents; 
Outside, the hollow sound of pick 
And spade – click, click, click I
n place of morning songs of joy, which they were 
Wont to offer up, as they at other times had done. 
All sobs, and shrieks, and groans,
Had changed the scene.  O! cruel death,
Thou dreadful monster! Thou enemy
To human happiness and joy.  How
Oft thou cheatest the sons and daughters
Of mankind of all their happiness and joy,
Laid out for future years
And many years to come.  Not so,
Foul monster, canst thou cheat the Saints
Of God, of happiness to come.  At best
'Tis all thy power can do to separate
For time, not long, the father, mother,
Sister, brother in the flesh.  Thou
Open'st up the way to paradise.  (The Saints)
Of God, pass th(r)ough and join their
Brethren in the spirit world.  There they
But wait and rest a while, the proper time
When they shall come again, and realize
The joys they long anticipated.  When they 
Shall come and reap the joys and happiness
They sowed when here before - and join
To part no more with father, mother, brothers,
Sisters, friends, and carry out the mighty
Works, they here on earth begun.

Some twenty-five in Israel’s camp 
Are numbered with the dead! – the work
Of four short days! Among this number
 In the earth is laid our daughter whom 
We loved. But eighteen summers 
Had passed o’er her head, when shafts 
Of cruel death had pierced her vital parts, 
And sent her to her temporary rest – the 
Rest of death! Can it be true? And 
Has she left us here to mourn her absence? 
“Tis true! O! God, thy will be done. Thou 
Giv’st – thou tak’st away, and we 
Will not repine. But for a time we’ll 
Mourn. Our nature’s such, that 
Stoutest hearts sometimes give way, and 
Force the bitter tears, in copious streams T
o flow. Forgive, O! God, our weakness – 
Accept our thanks, because we sorrow 
Not, without sure hope. But hark! 
Methinks I hear Eliza’s mirthful voice 
Resounding through the abodes of life 
Again! Methinks I hear her voice of melody, 
In songs of sweetest tones. I listen! 
Methinks I see her pass me in full stature, 
And feel the keenest glance of her bright eyes, 
And see her smiling face. I start! 
I look! Her form has vanished – her Smile has passed away. The sound 
Of her sweet voice is lost in distance – She is not here. Ah! No. “Tis all a dream – 
A vision of the brain!
She’s gone from earth. 
Awake! Arouse my soul 
From this sad dream of earth; shake off 
Thy sadness, and put the Gospel armor 
On. Our rightful sovereign – Jesus Christ – still lives 
And guides the helm. His kingdom 
Now established on the earth, dispenses 
To His faithful sons and daughters, through
 Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, all, and more 
Than man can ask – the offspring of obedience. 
And shall we then repine, and mourn 
When we are blessed with hope 
That’s sure and certain? That we, and all 
Shall meet again, who faithful are, to enjoy 
Eternal life with those we love, and
 Reign with Christ in an inheritance 
That is eternal, to part no more forever. 

Enough! My soul much comfort 
Finds, in all these things. The spirit of my 
God, sheds life throughout my soul –- 
A positive assurance, no man can give, 
Nor take away. And I can say, with 
All the hope and consolation of a Saint 
Of God, ‘tis right! 

Thy will O, God, be done. 
St. Louis, July 2 1855
John A. Jost 

This appeared in the St. Louis Luminary – July 21, 1855 – Volume I, Number XXXV, page 140 

The St. Louis Luminary was a paper published weekly in St. Louis, Missouri in 1854 and 1855 by the church with information for church members. 

It’s description reads: 

The St. Louis Luminary 
Devoted to Science, Religion, General Intelligence and News of the Day 
Edited and Published by 
Erastus Snow 

Under the banner of the title of the newspaper it reads: 
Found on (contributed by KathleenBlack1 12 February 2018

To George and Hope [Jost] on the death of Geo Alexander Who died January 15th 1866 Age 3 years 9 months By J.A.J [John A. Jost] I know you loved him dearly, And sorrow fills your heart, For death has called so early, On you with him to part. I suffered this affliction, Not many years ago. Ah oh! What malediction My heart was like to show. I therefore feel your sorrow And would consolation give, Yes! On a bright tomorrow, Eternally he’ll live. I know you sadly miss him, When ere you look around, Because his little playthings, In every nook are found. His little drum and whistle, His carriage and his whip. The stick he used to straddle, When round the house he’d skip. His boots lie in the corner, His hat hangs on the nail, His lettered blocks are scattered, His tin cup’s by the pail. The gown in which you wrapped him, When you laid him down to sleep, The bedstead which you made him, You see! You feel! You weep! His little bed is vacant, In his bedstead standing there, And here close by the casement, O God! His empty chair. O how his little prattle, Must be ringing through your ears, When you (busy) turned him from you, Or when tending to his prayers. Some tea and toast gave grandma, Grandma sick in bed, Ma-Ma go see poor Grandma How frequently he said. Almost beyond endurance, Was the pain his voice expressed, As he struggled with vehemence, When lying on your breast. Me thinks I see him running Along the garden walks, With innocence and cuning Picking flowers from the stocks. With his tiny little breeches, Just reaching to his knees, As he gathered up the peaches Which lie beneath the trees. You miss him at the table, You miss him round the fire, You miss his little babble, When expressing his desire. You miss him round the workbench, Where he gathered up the blocks, You miss him in the garden Where he mischief done [?] the stocks. You miss him at your labors, “Papa what doin” he cries “You’re always making lounges,” He simply replies. I might sit here for hours And recount his doings o’er, But what, if memory’s powers, Were exerted for a year. I would not recall him to us. Ah no! The die is cast And though more trials press us. We’ll follow him at last. Til then let’s be contented With our lot as cast on earth, These trials are intended To produce a better birth. Though in the grave you’ve laid him Let not your heart regret, “There lies but the casket”, “The gem is sparkling yet”. In the resurrection morning, You shall meet your darling boy, When that day will be dawning, Which brings eternal joy. J.A.J.
Found on (contributed by peggyluvernrowell1 17 January 2017)


  1. Hi there. John Alexander Jost is in my family line, and having been born in Nova Scotia myself I can share that his year of birth is recorded from many sources in Nova Scotia as 1811, not 1809 (despite his grave marker). John A Jost was Branch President in Halifax Nova Scotia when he gathered and led the Saints to "Zion", and kept a Journal of his journey to the Salt Lake Valley. If anyone is interested in more information on him, I'd be happy to share what I have.

    1. I have been trying to piece together how the Josts came to Utah. I have them as being in the Willie Handcart Company (only they had a wagon) and leaving them at Ft. Laramie. I also have that they came with the Hodgett-Hunt wagon train that trailed after the Martin Handcart company and were rescued with them. Lastly, I have that they came with the Wooley and Atwood Company. I would love to see the journal and find out the true facts. Let me know if there is some way that I could get a copy of it. Thanks.

    2. Do you have copies of John A. Jost's journal? Last week I visited Martin's Cove and would like to read about his experience if he wrote about it. I haven't been able to find any writings about this ordeal in his own words. Catherine Ann (Kate) Jost Candland Rasmussen is my gg grandmother. Her youngest son, Howard Rasmussen, is my grandfather.

      Jill Rasmussen Brown (

  2. I have been trying to piece together how the Josts came to Utah. I have them as being in the Willie Handcart Company (only they had a wagon) and leaving them at Ft. Laramie. I also have that they came with the Hodgett-Hunt wagon train that trailed after the Martin Handcart company and were rescued with them. Lastly, I have that they came with the Wooley and Atwood Company. I would love to see the journal and find out the true facts. Let me know if there is some way that I could get a copy of it. Thanks.

  3. I have it in 2 parts in my email, would be happy to forward it and share some other information as well. It's from a magazine called "The Canadian Journal of Mormonism". I got it emailed to me from Weber State. The article is called "From Halifax to Zion". Email me at Thanks!