Saturday, May 21, 2011

JOSIAH ADKINS 1620-1690

[Ancestral Link: Lura Minnie Parker (Stagge), daughter of Minnie May Elmer (Parker), daughter of Mark Alfred Elmer, son of William Elmer, son of John Elmer, son of William Elmer, son of William Elmer, son of Mary Adkins (Elmer), daughter of Thomas Adkins, son of Josiah Adkins.]
Middleton, Connecticut, Old Church - Most likely the one Josiah helped to build and attend. Built in 1650 in downtown Middletown.


Notes from Barbara Atkins Forster's research:

Hi, hope I have this right- John Rastus Hale is my great grandfather, his mother was Susan P. Smith, her mother was Mildred Atkins, her father was William Atkins, his parents were Thomas and Mathuza Atkins his father was Josiah Atkins B. 1722, his father was Benjamin Atkins, 1682, his father was Josiah Atkins, B. 1630 married to Elizabeth Wetmore. My Hale's are from Tennessee then South. Texas
Candace Hale (Lake)

American Marriages Before 1699
Name: Josiah Atkins


Spouse: Elizabeth Whetmore
Marriage Date: 8 October 1673

Marriage Place: Middletown, Connecticut

Connecticut Town Death Records, pre-1870 (Barbour Collection)
Name: Josiah Atkins Sr. [Josiah Adkins Sr.]


Death Date: 12 September 1690 Death Location: Middletown

U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
Name: Josiah Adkins
Birth Place: Connecticut

Birth Year: 1630


Spouse Name: Elizabeth Wetmore
Spouse Birth Place: Connecticut

Spouse Birth Year: 1648

Marriage Year: 1673


Number Pages: 1

Josiah Atkins found in Passenger and Immigration Index 1500's-1900's published by Frederick A. Virkus Immigrants to America before 1750.

Listed in First Puritan Settlers of Connecticut page 110
Listed in Families of Ancient New Haven Vol 1 page 467
Listed in Lineages of Hereditary Society Members 1600's Lineage book of the N.S. D. A. R. Vol II page 15 Vol III pg 14 Vol I pg 15
Listed in Founders and Patriots of America Index pg 6
Listed in The Complete Mayflower Descendant Vol V pg 21
Josiah D Atkins listed in same book Vol X pg 34 and pg 93

Revolutionary War Veteran from Waterbury Unit

Came from Wales, ca 1633.
Born possibly in 1620-30 possibly born in Waltham, South England. Josiah Adkins, the first of his family in the country, possibly coming here as a child with his father William. What date is not exactly known.

He settled at first in the East Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, where he married Elizabeth Andrews having three children. After his wife died he moved to Middletown and married Elizabeth Wetmore (Whitmore).


When he came to Middletown, the town gave him four acres of meadowland near Robert Johnson's farm, next to John Stow, Senior. Other sources say it was South Staddle Hill district.
and then Wethersfield area, where his eldest son and daughter married and remained, the second son going to Milford.

Sources: Commemorative Biographical Record: Hartford Connecticut FHL 974.62 D3cpt2p 1419 The Compendium of American Genealogy by FA Virkus FHL 973 D2vf p 90 Early Puritan Settlers by RR Hinman FHL 974.6D2hra

The Josiah Adkins Family of Connecticut Book by Donald Lines Jacobus, M.A., F.A.S.G. states:


"an early but not original settler in Hartford, Connecticut, married first Elizabeth Andrews, sister of Edward Andrews of Hartford. ....... Edwards' will signed July 23, 1673, after providing for his wife and children (unnamed), gave to my brother (in-law) Josiah Adkins ten acres of the land I bought of Wm. Howlton the North side of it, which shall be to his children which were the children of my sister" (Manwaring's Digest, 1:173) "The reason for limiting the passing of the land to the children of Josiah Adkins by Andrew was doubtless because Adkins was on the point of marrying again and might have other children not related to Edward Andrews. Josiah Adkins, in fact moved to Middletown, Connecticut, and married there a second time, a little over two months after Andrews made his will."

A Digest of the Early Connecticut Probate Records 1687-1695 Page 89


Name: Josiah Adkins


Location: Middletown Invt. oe 67-10-00 Taken January 1, 1690-1 by Nathaniel Stowe, John Hall, Sen., Samuel Hall. Legatees: (these were only the seven children by his second marriage, then aged 3 to 16). Solomon 12, Josiah 10, Benjamin 8 and Ephraim 6, and his three daughters, Sarah 16, Abigail 14 and Elizabeth 3.

Will dated September 1, 1690 . I Josiah Adkins of Middletown do leave this as my last Will and Testament; I give to my wife Elizabeth Adkins my House, Houselott and Stock, for her life time, and to be at her dispose at her death, only willing her not to dispose of it but to my children then surviving. I give to my 4 sons, Solomon, Josiah, Benjamin and Ephraim, my Boggy Meadow and Swamp, equally to be divided between them. My Will is that after my wife's decease all Moveables in the House shall be equally divided amongst my 3 daughters, Sarah, Abigail and Elizabeth. I give to my other 3 children, to whom I have formerly given according to my ability, that is to Thomas, Samuel and Elizabeth Gilman, 10 shillings apiece. I request my Brother Nathaniel Stowe and Mr. Thomas Warde to be Overseers. Witness: Daniel Hurlbut, John Hall, Sen. Josiah X Adkins Ls. (These obviously the older children, sons and daughters of his Andrews wife; and since she was sister of a man born about 1628, her birth may be placed about 1630. Of these children, the births of Thomas and Elizabeth (Gilman) have to be placed as early as 1650-1652, since the eldest child of each was born 1672. These dates all fit together well, and we must conclude that Josiah was around 45 when he married the second time and around 60 when his youngest child was born. )

From the book 'The history of Long Hill' located on ancestry.com


Atkins - the name in New England first appears as copied from an old record:


1) Joseph Atkins of Roxbury (Massachusetts) married a Dudley in the year 1630.

2) Abraham Atkins Boston 1642

3) Matthew Atkins Boston (freeman) 1673

4) Thomas Atkins (brother of Josiah) Hartford, East River married 1688

5) Thomas Atkins Boston (freeman) 1690

Josiah Atkins - (brother of Thomas) married Elizabeth daughter of Thomas Wetmore, Sen of Middletown, October 8, 1673 (then it list the children and dates they were born) The town gave him four acres of meadow land near Robert Johnson's farm next to John Stow, Sen land. Josiah Atkins died September 1, 1691. Estate 67 Franks 10 Shillings.

It then goes on to talk about each of the children. see their pages for their section.

Page 89

Name: Josiah Adkins


Location: Middletown
Invt. œ67-10-00. Taken 1st January, 1690-1, by Nathaniel Stowe, John Hall, sen., Samuel Hall. The legatees: Solomon Adkins age 12 years, Josiah 10, Benjamin 8, Ephraim 5, Sarah 16, Abigail 14, Elizabeth 3 years old. Will dated 1st September, 1690.



I Josiah Adkins of Middletown do leave this as my last Will and Testament: I give to my wife Elizabeth Adkins my House, Houselott and Stock, for her life time, and to be at her dispose at her death, only willing her not to dispose of it but to my Children then surviving. I give to my 4 sons, Solomon, Josiah, Benjamin and Ephraim, my Boggy Meadow and Swamp, equally to be divided between them. My Will is that after my wife's decease all Moveables in the House shall be equally divided amongst my 3 daughters, Sarah, Abigail and Elizabeth. I give to my other 3 Children, to whom I have formerly given according to my ability, that is, to Thomas, Samuel and Elizabeth Gilman, 10 Shillings apeice. I request my Brother Nathaniel Stowe and Mr. Thomas Warde to be Overseers.
Witness: Daniel Hurlbut, John Hall sen.
Josiah X Adkins. Ls.
Court Record, Page 23--5 March, 1690-1: Will exhibited. Adms. to the Widow Elizabeth, with the Will annexed.

A DIGEST OF THE EARLY CONNECTICUT PROBATE RECORDS.
1687 to 1695.
found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment