Tuesday, August 30, 2011


[Ancestral Link: Lura Minnie Parker (Stagge), daughter of Minnie May Elmer (Parker), daughter of Mark Alfred Elmer, son of Hannah Polina Child (Elmer), daughter of Polly Barber (Child), daughter of Ichabod Barber, son of Mary Barney (Barber), daugther of Israel Barney, son of Elizabeth Brackett (Barney), daughter of Elizabeth Waldo (Brackett), daughter of Hannah Coggswell (Waldo), daughter of Elizabeth Thompson (Coggswell).]

Coggswell's Grant

Cogwell's Grant ( the original land grant ) is now a tourist spot 23 Dec 2010, Essex, Massachusetts address:

Cogwell's Grant

60 Spring St

Essex, Massachusetts 01929

This is part of the 300 acre land grant that was given to John Cogswell born, 1592 died 1669 that was in Ipswich (now Essex ).

The property was handed down a few generations and around 1728 his Great Grandson, Johnathan Cogswell born 1687, died 1752, built a house there that still exists ! It's now a tourist spot full of antiques. See this website for photos and info :

If you go to that site, and look at the left - click history for genealogy info and house history. found on ancestry.com

1636-1839: Cogswell Family: Westberry Lee
In 1636 the following entry appears in the Grants Book of the Town of Ipswich: “Granted to Mr. John Cogswell 300 acres of land at the further Chebokoe…”

John Cogswell (1592-1669) was born in Westbury Leigh, Wiltshire, England, and embarked for New England in 1635 with his wife and eight children. Their ship, the Angel Gabriel was wrecked at Pemaquid Point, Maine, and though the family survived, they lost more than £5000 worth of property, including cattle, furniture, and money. After travelling south, Cogswell established a farm on the land granted to him in the part of Ipswich bounded by the Chebacco (or Chebokoe) River, which is now the town of Essex.

Cogswell referred to this property in documents as “Westberry Lee,” naming it after his birthplace in England, and a mortgage record for 1641 indicates a house and other buildings on the property. The seventeenth-century buildings do not survive, but archaeological evidence has revealed that a structure from that period had lain perpendicular to the existing 1728 house. In 1651, John Cogswell began to divide his property among his sons, deeding sixty acres each to William and John Jr. John Jr. immediately sold his acreage to William, and by 1657, John Sr. had sold the remaining 180 acres to William as well.

William Cogswell (1619-1700) was a successful farmer, and also served as a selectman and parish meeting moderator in Chebacco Parish. Records from this period show his farm included a malt house, a saw mill or grist mill, orchards, and crops of barley, hay, and salt marsh hay. In 1656, William was granted compensation by the Town of Ipswich for a highway that crossed the property, leading from Ipswich to Gloucester. He was also given permission to operate a ferry across the Chebacco (now Essex) River as part of the highway, charging two pence a person; the ferry was replaced by a horse bridge in 1666. On William’s death, he left his property to his four sons in fifty- to 100-acre parcels.

Captain Jonathan Cogswell (1661-1717) inherited eighty acres from his father in 1700, including the present house site, and as his brothers predeceased him, his land increased. By the end of his life seventeen years later, the farm had attained its present 165-acre configuration, which has remained intact to this day. Captain Cogswell was a merchant, Justice of the Peace, and a member of the militia. There is little documentation of his time on the farm, but his will leaves “his Negro man, Jack, and his Indian maid, Nell” to his wife, and the contents of his widow’s will in 1723 indicate a high degree of prosperity.

Jonathan Cogswell Jr. (1687-1752) inherited the 165-acre property in 1717 at age thirty, and his time at Westberry Lee is the most significant in terms of buildings that survive today. Two years after inheriting the property, Jonathan built a salt hay barn, the oldest building currently standing at Cogswell’s Grant. In 1728, he built the western portion of the current house, possibly as an addition to the existing seventeenth-century house that was oriented north to south. The terraces in front of the house may also date to his tenure, as they are typical of country house landscaping in this period.

By 1749, Jonathan Cogswell Jr. was so prosperous that he had the second-highest taxable wealth in all of Ipswich. Sometime before 1752, the seventeenth-century portion of the house was taken down, and a new addition, the eastern portion of the current house, was constructed. It appears that this portion of the house was not entirely finished, however, before Jonathan Jr. died in 1752. The farm was leased to tenant farmers until 1761, when Jonathan Jr.'s son was old enough to take possession.

Colonel Jonathan Cogswell (1740-1819) lived at Westberry Lee and worked the farm for thirty years, starting at age twenty-one, when he came into his majority. He was Captain of an Ipswich alarm list company raised in 1774, promoted to Major in 1775, and was Colonel of the Second Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteers in the army from 1776 until the end of the Revolutionary War. A Justice of the Peace, a member of the State Constitutional Convention in 1780, and part of the Massachusetts delegation to the United States Constitutional Convention in 1788, Colonel Cogswell was a prominent figure in the community. However, in 1791, Colonel Cogswell decided to move closer to Chebacco center, and upon the untimely death of his only son in 1813, Westberry Lee was once again leased to tenants. This was the last time that the Cogswell family resided at the farm, and though Colonel Cogswell’s widow refused to sell the property during her lifetime, it finally passed out of the family in 1839, two hundred years after John Cogswell’s original grant.

Plaque 1991, Pemaquid Lighthouse at Bristol, Maine, USA

Dedicated by Cogswell Family Association at the sight of the shipwreck of the passengers aboard the "Angel Gabriel".

Elizabeth Thompson Coggswell

Highland Cemetery, Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts

Cogswell in Historic homes etc. of Wocester
John Cogswell, the immigrant ancestor, was born in Westbury Leigh, Wiltshire, England, in 1592, the son of Edward and Alice Cogswell, of an ancient and honourable English lineage. He married, in England, September 10, 1615, Elizabeth Thompson, daughter of Rev. William and Phillis Thompson. Her father was vicar of the parish. They resided at Westbury till 1635, when they settled in Ipswich, Massachusetts. They came on the ill-fated ship “Angel Gabriel,” which was wrecked off the Maine coast August 15, 1635, the passengers of which were washed ashore at Pemaquid, Maine. Mr. Cogswell was the third settler in that part of Ipswich now the town of Essex. He was admitted a freeman March 3, 1636. He was a farmer in America, but a woollen manufacturer in the old country, and the English Cogswells at Westbury still own and operate woollen mills there, or did so until recently. His descendants have been very prominent in Massachusetts in every generation...his daughter Hannah married, 1652, Deacon Cornelius Waldo.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester County, Massachusetts: with a history of Worcester Society of Antiquity, Volume 2 (Google eBook), by Ellery Bricknell Crane, Lewis Pub., 1907.
found on ancestry.com

The Cogswells on the Ocean

May 23 to August 15, 1635

The Angel Gabriel was the ship on board which John Cogswell and Family crossed the Atlantic. This vessel, it appears from the Letters of John Aubrey, the celebrated antiquary of Wiltshire, was built by Sir Charles Snell for Sir Walter Raleigh, “for the designe for Guiana, which cost him the manor of Yatton Regnell, the farm of Eastern Piers, Thornhill, and the Church-lease of Bp. Cannings, which ship upon Sir Walter Raleigh's attainder was forfeited” Vid. Aubrey's Letters, Vol. 2 p. 514, Mss. Bodleian Library, Oxford, England.

Sir Walter Raleigh, who was executed October 29, 1618, doubtless made his second and last voyage, A.D. 1617-18 to Guiana, S.A., in the same ship in which the Cogswells came to America in 1635, and which became a wreck off Pemaquid, as Mather says: “was burst in pieces and cast away.”

John Cogswell, with wife Elizabeth and eight children, embarked May 23, 1635, at Bristol, England on the Angel Gabriel, for New England. Mr Cogswell had with him his three sons, William, John and Edward and five of his six daughters. One daughter was left in England, who afterward married and resided in London. Mr Cogswell took with him several farm and household servants, an amount of valuable furniture, farming implements housekeeping utensils and a considerable sum of money. They were detained many days after going on board the Angel Gabriel for lack of wind, so that not until June 4 did they actually set sail from Bristol. On the same day another vessel, The James, sailed, having on board emigrants for America, among them was Rev. Richard Mather, fleeing religious intolerance in England to find the home of religious freedom in the New World. He became the minister of Dorchester in the Colony of Massachusetts. Rev. Richard Matehr was the father of Increase Mather, D.D. , President of Harvard College, and the grandfather of Rev. Cotton Mather, minister of Boston, and the distinguished author of the Magnalia Christi Americana. Richard Mather's tombstone was thus inscribed:

“ Under this stone lies Richard Mather,
Who had a son greater than the father,
And eke a grandson greater than either.”

The Angel Gabriel was commanded by Capt. Andrews, who had on board with him two nephews, John and Thomas Burnham, sons of Robert and Mary (Andrews) Burnaham, and ancestors of the Burnhams in America. There were an board slao Samuel Haines, Ancestor of Hon. Andrew Mack Haines, of Galena, Ill., William Furber, and others seeking homes in New England. Both ships touched at Milford Haven Pembroke County, South Wales, amd June 22, they put to sea again and proceeded on their way, and many on board saw the English coast fade from view, never to be seen by them again with mortal eyes. The vessels kept company for about two weeks, when they became separated, but arrived about the same time on the coast of New England. The James lay at anchor off the Isles of Shoals, and the Angel Gabriel off Pemaquid, Maine, where the great storm and gale of August 15 of that year struck them. The James was torn from her anchors, and obliged to put to sea, but after two days of terrible battling with storm and wave, she reached Boston Harbor with “her sails rent in sunder, and split in pieces, as if they had been rotten ragges.” The passengers on the James landed in Boston, August 17, having been twelve weeks and two days on the passage. The Angel Gabriel fared still worse. “The storm was frightful at Pemaquid, the wind blowing from the northeast, the tide rising to a very unusual height, in some places more than twenty feet right up and down; this was succeeded by another and unaccountable tidal wave still higher.” The Angel Gabriel became a total wreck, passengers, cattle, and goods were all cast upon the angry waves. Among those who reached the shore with their lives were Mr. Cogswell and his family. Three or four passengers and one seaman perished, and there was the loss of cattle and much property. Thus ended the passage of The Cogswells on the Ocean, and thus became a fact: The Cogswells in America.
found on ancestry.com

Witch Trials 1692, Salem, Massachusetts
The Cogswells were involved in an attempt to prevent the execution of Goodwife Proctor in the Salem witch trials. According to Ipswich In The Massachusetts Bay Colony, 290-291, by Thomas Franklin Waters, The Ipswich Historical Society, 1905: "Five members of the Cogswell family were among the twenty prominent people who signed the petition drawn up by the Rev. John Wise on behalf of Goodwife Proctor, who stood accused of witchcraft. Mary Warren alleged that she had been threatened and abused by Goodwife Proctor, and that she had seen apparitions of people who had long since been murdered by the wife of John Proctor. This evidence prevailed and the good woman was sentenced to death.
found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment